some issues on my puma (clutch, temperature)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SandStorm

At first, I don't know if this is the correct place to ask these, if not, my apologies

First issue:
-> My temp. gauge, when I turn off the car still displaying the temperature. If I come back after several hours, it still displaying the temperature it had when last turned off. If I turn on the car, the needle moves back to cold and then starts operating correctly.

Second issue:
-> door open warning light always on, with bonnet, doors, trunk closed... xD

Third issue:
-> My clutch is slipping. The car have supposedly 90k kms (=+/-56k miles) I'm wondering, the hydraulic brake fluid looks bad (I haven't opened the cap, but I suppose it is dark). And since if it is like my Fiesta MK6, the clutch uses the same fluid as the brakes, so, can this problem of clutch slipping due to bad fluid?
I give an example, if I go at 80mph and step suddenly on the throttle, the revs will rise first and only then the speed starts to catch up. Maybe bad fluid makes a lazy engagement? or is really shot clutch?

Fourth issue:
-> No HCV. Just checked, they bypassed it. So, I suppose the valve is broken. Also, the heater fan doesn't work in any position. So, no AC either because it isn't connected. Also looks like it doesn't make the switch from external airflow to internal airflow. Is all of this operated by the HCV?

About the first issue - Don't worry mine does the exact same thing, never had a problem.

thanks mate!
oh and I just noticed no reverse lights either... probably is the reverse valve, since I doubt the previous owner would let both getting blew. I remember I had to replace one of those valves on my fiesta MK6

Door warning light is commonly the bonnet switch, start there, then check the boot. The door switches are the hardest to get to.

Clutch might just need changing, I had a 35k Puma which needed a clutch replacement. Sounds like yours is worn.

I don't know if it's all operated by the HCV but they're simple to install so worth just putting it back in.

No reverse lights, maybe the switch on the gear selector is out of position/broken, assuming you've checked the bulbs and fuses.

Good luck!

Door adjar switch..nightmare job..whole door to pieces to get the lock assembly out... real faf!

reverse...check/change that switch on the front of the gearbox (with the white connector)

:cool:

I recently purchased a Puma whereby the previous owner stated the clutch was slipping. It didn't slip on the 80 mile drive home - so I changed the brake fluid as it did look a bit on the dark side - but after a few miles of driving and revving it hard at higher speeds it turned out that the clutch was shot.

The HCV controls hot and cold air into the cabin. If it ain't working you'll get permanently hot air - not good in this weather.

If the heater fan doesn't work in any position - it is more than likely the resistor pack under the glove box - cheap to buy and replace - although mine had rusted terminals so I had to cut all the wires and re-crimp them with electrical connectors.

Normally though - if the resistor pack isn't working - then the heater only works on setting 4 and not 1,2,3.

I managed to turn off the door open warning light.
The bonnet sensor wasn't connected, so, I connected it back.
but now, the light never turns on.
Maybe that switch isn't very good at all. I don't mind it anyways, at least I don't have a light always annoying me.

now, do the 1998 puma (analogic dash) have abs? mine may have been built in 1997.
when I turn the ignition to 1 and then 2, I never see the abs light

I vaguely remember reading something once that not all mainland Pumas came with ABS, here in the UK it was only some of the early 1.4s that did not have it.

If you do have it then you should see the light when you turn the ignition on.

I shall add that there's no traction control light either.
Where's the ABS module on the puma?
Maybe is a defective module that's doing this. or lack of. or disconnected.

I can't test extreme braking, roads way too crowded in the summer to do any tests like these

(forgot to mention about the doors warning light, it works normally when I forget the boot open, it's all that matters to me seriously, lol)

sorry for bothering you guys, but I found this hanging around in the box (that is broken) that supposedly should have the cabin air filter (missing)

when I put my fingers deeper, I find something like a rotor with blades, which I suppose it is the air blower.

28sse49.jpg

also, when I rotate the air flow button, I do hear the system rotating, but no air comes from the central and side vents.
I suppose my outside-inside air switch may be broken, even if it lights up. when I press it, I don't listen any mechanical sound of a thing moving (like my fiesta mk6 does when I press it, I listen to a very feeble "clunk")

Back