Lost locking wheel nut key

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobydrew

Hi all,

I've been a complete tool and managed to loose my locking wheel nut key :oops:

My local Ford garage have said they do not have a master and need the code for it to be able to order one from Germany. Needless to say I don't have the code...

The wheel nuts are the standard ford ones and are on a 51 plate. Has anyone managed to remove them successfully? Do other keys fit from other Pumas - are there really just a few variants? Has anyone used the reverse threaded sockets available from places like screw fix and Halfrauds?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Keys from other similar age Fords definitely do fit as Cherie's Millie locking wheel nut key fitted mine when I lost mine!

Have used the removal keys too.

lost mine..welded bolts to the lockers to remove them.....then found the locking wheel nut key!

I think there are eight variants.

I had lost mine too and had some guy with a special tool to remove them (destroys them in the process), cost around £30 for all 4 wheels to be done and took about 5 mins.

If you live near the North-East of England I can Pm you his details.

Or ask a garage as they should have a similar tool.

As always Ford's way will be very pricey.

Get a 19mm multi point socket and hammer it gently over the locknut, you should then be able to undo them as per normal. I did this with all 4 on a puma I bought and forgot to check the adapter was With the car.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm located in the midlands so it's not easy to get to you guys.

I've tried a 19mm socket but this wouldn't grip enough to loosen the nuts. It may have been a cheap socket though which stripped to easily, rather than gripping the locknut.

It's in for its MOT tomorrow so will have a chat with the garage to see how much they want to remove them. If this is extortionate I'll try to get one of the removal sockets.
Thanks

I bought a replacement locking wheel nut off ebay the guy said it would fit puma,fiesta or focus for cars from that period 2002 and it did,after i bought my replacement wheel nut i found the original!

I took my Puma for MOT today and my mate's son was looking over the car after it passed and he asked if I had the Ford locking wheel bolts, when I said I did he said replace them as they shear off easily in his experience especially if anyone has been near them with an air gun!!!

Dav4008 said:
[post]356055[/post] if anyone has been near them with an air gun!!!

And there's the problem.

If you're replacing locking wheel nuts with genuine Ford ones, just avoid the ones with the rotating bit around the outside. The garage had to get a chisel to the outer ring to get this b***** off!

Attachments

• IMAG0229.JPG
    IMAG0229.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 3,933

Latest posts

Back