car ramps

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfie74

will a ford puma go up normal car ramps, the ones i have hit the bottom of the bumper, wondering if extension ramps will help, if not, best place to jack it up at the front as my sills crumble on the sills jacking points

extension ramps will help, if not use a length of strong plank (scaffold plank is good) you only need about 2ft extension, just make sure you fix it to the ramps to stop it slipping.

Jacking....I use my trolley jack directly under the subframe mountings or if needed directly under the front struts, either way make sure you then drop it onto axle stands for safety

if i jack it up where you have told me , where do i then put the axles stands

depends on what you are doing....need suspension free, jack under suspension..then stands under subframe which is most safe way for working under car anyway
Problem with placing stands under suspension is you then have the full weight of car on the stands added to the unstableness (is that a word?) of the suspension....not good
Other option is..jack up car..place scaffold plank under from side to side making sure chassis rails will land on it without damage elsewhere then place stands under the plank.....you will need 2 jacks for this for safety.
even if I have car on stands I also leave jack as support as well.
seems obvious but handbrake on and use chocks..

I use ramps where I can (bad axle stand experience)

I sit mine in front of the tyres then kick them 'into' the tyre so they wont slip when I move the car. Once you get going you should find the bumper clears the ramps.

Alternatively, if you happen to have some scaffolding plank, cut two foot long lengths off and drive onto them first then shove your ramps under.
Works for me anyway ;)

Rob.

I have 6 no. 18" long pieces of 3x2.

Three each side, stood on edge (3" vertical) just in front of the ramps no risk of snapping anything then as they're on the ground.

I've used a couple of bricks each side before now too.

You have to be committed though. Once your front wheels start climbing the ramps, keep going until you're up, othwrwise one or both WILL slide if on anything smooth.

Latest posts

Back