A Chance Encounter.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2

Hi.

Whilst at the Walton Classic Car Show last Sunday I got chatting to a very nice gentleman about the Puma. It turned out that he worked for Ford and was one of the test drivers for the Puma. He told a few stories.

I know I have heard somewhere, I am not sure if it was on this site.... the tale of a Porsche employee who moved to Ford and worked on the Puma. At one of the big motor shows he met up with his buddies from Porsche and they asked him what he had been working on, he showed them they were skeptical anyway he handed over the keys and the Porsche boys took the Puma. Apparently they were gone for what seemed for ever and it was hell of a job to get the Puma back from them. I can now confirm that this is true.

Another snippet which helped the demise of the Puma was the fact that it was a bit expensive to keep flying the engines over to Yamaha for them to do their bit on them. When Ford wanted to do it themselves they found out they did not own the mapping rights for the engine.

Can anyone expand on these snippets? If so I would like to hear.

PS. Where I work the company next door has an ex Ford mechanic who used to work on the Ford competition Pumas. I will have a chat with him and see if I can get anything to post.

Regards,
Richard.

Latest posts

Back