Bubbly-bubbly rear arch

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi guys!

The right rear arch on my Puma is bit bubbly-rusty, 4-5 inches long, 1 inch wide-but it's only on the surface. It's not that big a spot, that makes me want to look for a welder, (well money is the issue as well) but it bothers me enough that I plan to do something about it. When the sun directly shines on that side, the bubbles are quite noticeable.
I was thinking to put a sticker on it, until it gets worse :( In 1 year the size of the bubbly patch didn't really change much, so fingers cross I'd be okay for a while. So probably I'd put a black Puma's logo or an animal head ( or maybe a Predator head) on both of the rear arches, so it would be visible from both sides. On the left side there's a bubble patch as well, but that's only around half an inch, so it takes a while spot it, even from close up.
I know the sticker isn't the greatest idea, but I can't spend £600-700 or who knows how much does it cost with the painting done as well, on that now, ecpecially MOT coming in December and on the last one it said: brake pipe slightly corroded near rear side. (This was actually done 1.5 years ago by previous owner for £250, so not sure why is that again).
However, any creative idea about what should I do with the bubbly surface is greatly appreciated or perhaps any idea about the image of the sticker. It should cover 4-5 inches x 1 inch. Thanks.

obvious thing is put a Puma sticker over it, as in the animal type puma, could look cool.

I hope you plan on a little bit of sanding/filling first though just to smooth it out a bit, then see no reason at all why you should not cover it up for a while.
Although both of my arches are done (filled/sanded/painted)they are purely fixed for cosmetic reasons rather than permanently so I will be doing them again soon no doubt but like you I do not have £££'s to throw at them

zinc2000 said:
obvious thing is put a Puma sticker over it, as in the animal type puma, could look cool.

I hope you plan on a little bit of sanding/filling first though just to smooth it out a bit, then see no reason at all why you should not cover it up for a while.
Although both of my arches are done (filled/sanded/painted)they are purely fixed for cosmetic reasons rather than permanently so I will be doing them again soon no doubt but like you I do not have £££'s to throw at them

I was planning to sand and fill the area, but I think some kind of painting would be necessary as well, as the sticker doesn't attach well to filled surface.
I was thinking about something Puma as well and found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PUMA-CAT-CAR-DECAL-STICKER-/252450034543?hash=item3ac731d36f:g:b~0AAOSwkl5Xe190

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sticker-Decals-Puma-Head-Cars-Motorbike-Door-polymeric-vinyl-Garage-mtv-RS848-/201651083566?var=&hash=item2ef357592e:m:m6kG7vohZimnYjox5c4S1Og

Any suggestions? The colour of my Puma is Colorado Red.

The rust on the wheelarch - as you know - does not come from the wheelarch liners but from the inside of the car where the arch creases and where Ford in the skimping decided not to rust proof that area.

Obviously treat the outside but ensure you treat the inside as well. This will entail the purchase of some Bilt Hamber S-50, the stripping out of the rear of the cars interior; a good smattering of S-50 in all the right areas followed by (as I did) leaving the car for 24 hours before refitting the cars rear interior.

AshLaw said:
[post]356584[/post] The rust on the wheelarch - as you know - does not come from the wheelarch liners but from the inside of the car where the arch creases and where Ford in the skimping decided not to rust proof that area.

Obviously treat the outside but ensure you treat the inside as well. This will entail the purchase of some Bilt Hamber S-50, the stripping out of the rear of the cars interior; a good smattering of S-50 in all the right areas followed by (as I did) leaving the car for 24 hours before refitting the cars rear interior.

Unfortunately the drive way where I park is packed with cars and no roof of course. The landlord doesn't really allow to do stripping the interior of the car,etc. max I can do is to change the tyres...But if I'll ever get to the point that welding will be necessary, I'll take care of the inside part as well. Thanks

Latest posts

Back