Dumb question coming up

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

I was driving at 4am to work and the fog was really thick, so I turned the fog light on. I didn't really use it before, so when I got to work I checked how it looks like from the back and oh boy, it looks so awesome! So the question, can I change the fog bulbs to regular ones, so I can turn those on anytime without burning the eyes of the driver behind me? I'd keep a couple of fog light bulbs in the glovebox just in case.

i agree they may look awesome (saw mine the other day at the MOT!!) but they are FOG lights to be used in fog!! changing the bulbs may well render them illegal due to their position on the car and of course every time you put main beam on it would annoy the hell out of the following cars as they would then go off, dip beam, on... main beam, off, you get the picture not to mention the fact that you would then have no fog lights, so advice would be, look at them and admire them if you wish but no changee bulbs :grin:

Sylvester said:
[post]357738[/post] So the question, can I change the fog bulbs to regular ones, so I can turn those on anytime without burning the eyes of the driver behind me?
It is pretty useful to have a working set of fog lights in the fog as it stops people ploughing straight into the back of you.

Plus, they have another little known function - in the event of being tailgated or someone right behind with headlights on full, then just simply turn your fog lights on. It is remarkable just how quickly they get the message and is so much safer than 'tapping' your brake lights at them.

Quick answer, no there's no direct swap as they're 21w single filament, same intensity as a brake light.

Slow answer, you could swap the bulb holders to stop/tail and wire them up to the 5w side and they'd be the same as your red tail lights.

Sensible answer, fog lights are for safety

zinc2000 said:
[post]357740[/post] i agree they may look awesome (saw mine the other day at the MOT!!) but they are FOG lights to be used in fog!! changing the bulbs may well render them illegal due to their position on the car and of course every time you put main beam on it would annoy the hell out of the following cars as they would then go off, dip beam, on... main beam, off, you get the picture not to mention the fact that you would then have no fog lights, so advice would be, look at them and admire them if you wish but no changee bulbs :grin:
I never thought about them this way, we can learn something new everyday :)

Ian G said:
[post]357747[/post] Quick answer, no there's no direct swap as they're 21w single filament, same intensity as a brake light.

Slow answer, you could swap the bulb holders to stop/tail and wire them up to the 5w side and they'd be the same as your red tail lights.

Sensible answer, fog lights are for safety
Thanks for the info, it seems MOT check would reveal the trick, so I just leave them :(

Hey Brian' your Puma is in the exact colour that I had wondered what a Puma would look like in....looks good apparently :grin:

Back