Cost of Cambelt Change

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Bell

Hi, what should I expect to pay for a cam belt change? I've just had a quote from a local garage recommended on this site and wondering if it is a fair price?

Rob Bell said:
[post]357739[/post] Hi, what should I expect to pay for a cam belt change? I've just had a quote from a local garage recommended on this site and wondering if it is a fair price?
I've done mine last year for £370, including new water pump, auxiliary belt, cambelt as well.
IMPORANT: search for cambelt change on the forum cause 1.7 cambelt change is much more difficult than 1.6, 1.4. There should be copies of how-to-do it, 3 pages, lots of Info's. I gave it to the mechanic and he used it the whole time. For 1.7 engines you need special tools due the VCT engine and a little mistake can mess up the engine. Ask if they have done 1.7 Puma before. If it's less than £400 go with it. Double check their work, the mechanic forgot to change the auxiliary belt and I had to go back...

Hi Sylvester, thanks for your reply. The price quoted is around the £400 mark for cam belt kit, auxiliary belt & rocker cover gasket but not water pump. Do you think it's advisable to change water pump as well? Mechanic checked on Ford recommendation and apparently they don't mention changing water pump?

Worth changing the water pump when doing a cambelt as it's behind the cambelts route. Saves labour if you just need a water pump after.

Rob Bell said:
[post]357753[/post] Hi Sylvester, thanks for your reply. The price quoted is around the £400 mark for cam belt kit, auxiliary belt & rocker cover gasket but not water pump. Do you think it's advisable to change water pump as well? Mechanic checked on Ford recommendation and apparently they don't mention changing water pump?
Yes, as Dal said it is saves the hassle if you need a new one, as they have to remove all parts again, which cost £££ again. Also I heard the new cambelt tension puts an extra pressure on the old water pump and makes them fail soon enough. Try to make a deal instead of the rocker cover :)

The rocker Gasket will need replacing but only with a genuine Ford one. The water pump runs off the aux belt and has nothing to do with cambelt tension but whilst it's all stripped down to do the cambelt it's worth doing.
Barry

I would also get the auxiliary drive belt changed as well while your at it,i paid for cambelt kit,water pump and auxiliary drive belt replacement all in all it cost £475 at my local garage which i thought was reasonable,i also had confidence in them doing a good job as they had replaced the cambelt on my wifes 1.7 puma back in 2013.good luck.

Performance Puma in South Woodford : http://blog.performancepuma.com/

I had my cambelt and tensioner, stretch bolts, water pump and anti-freeze, aux belt & rocker cover gasket replaced - all for £320.

Rob Bell said:
[post]357739[/post] Hi, what should I expect to pay for a cam belt change? I've just had a quote from a local garage recommended on this site and wondering if it is a fair price?

I offer a comprehensive engine service. . Check out Www.allisonautomotive.co.uk

:grin:

ElDude at Allison Automotive said:
[post]358092[/post]
Rob Bell said:

I offer a comprehensive engine service. . Check out http://Www.allisonautomotive.co.uk

:grin:

And having just had mine done, I can say he's very good!!

Latest posts

Back