traction control

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfie74

how do the traction control work on the 1.6 puma, mine doesnt seem to work especially pulling around in the wet as the wheels can still spin, i have noticed, if i try and pull away fast, the car will back off and feel hesitant

The TC on a Puma works with the ABS pump. it uses the ABS sensors to calculate each wheels speed. When one wheel spins faster than the rest of the weels it will apply the brakes on that wheel. it only works at low speeds tho. When TC kicks in while pulling away you will hear it and feel it. it makes a sort of abs noise kicking in noise. If you are driving faster then approx 5-10mph TC will not do anything and just let you spinn the wheels.

I don't think the 1.6 has the traction control system (I could be mistaken). Not that it makes too much difference anyway... Your best bet in terms of helping with wheel spin in the wet is probably to fit something like uniroyal rainsport tyres or michelins as they tend to be decent in the wet (I had rainsport 2s on my 1.7 very impressed with them... I'd imagine rainsport3s are good as well), obviously check pressures and wheel alignment also.

must be the 1.4 that doesn't have it. Same rule still applies; it is not very effective... I think the only time I've felt it kick was at a very slow speed on slippery mud gravel surface. Tyres are key but I think you may still find you get some wheel spin.

had a abs sensor replaced as the light was on, but other cars ie had with traction control have been really good, i dont seem to get the self test noise when first start driving the car but no abs lights stay on

ummmm... Not every fault shows up on dash maybe stick it into a OBD II sensor check for any faults. Yeah the self test noise is very noticeable usually! Was it a rear sensor or a front sensor that was changed?

it was plugged into a professional code reader at my local garage, it was the drivers side front sensor, abs works fine, never heard the noise thou

something doesn't sound right there all 3 of my Pumas did the "fart" test noise as they reached the test speed. I would have thought any problems with the sensor or the sensor ring would produce some kind of fault or the ABS wouldn't work and with it the TC would go also. I'm out of ideas sorry. :-(

Latest posts

Back