Reliability.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

The title is slightly misleading, etc.

I was reading this - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/32951/ford-s-baby-cat-getting-ready-pounce which is a dull article about something that never happened, but what caught my eye was the poll on the right.

What do you want most from your next car?
Poll Status: 2017-01-24 17:00

47% Reliability
11% Build Quality
7% Running Costs
13% Performance
5% Road Handling
5% Ride Quality
3% Ease of Driving
3% Seat Comfort
2% Practicality
3% In-Car Tech

Now, even allowing for the fact that some readers of 'Auto Express' (whatever that is) may well be driving some pretty dull cars, that desire for reliability at 47% is pretty high and unexpected!

Thinking about it, it dawned on me that my Puma is actually the most reliable car I've had. In the 3½ years I've had it, here's the total list of what I've had go wrong with it (list doesn't include normal service items (inc. cambelt) or underbody sealers, cavity waxes, rust inhibitors, etc) -

#1. Nearside window not lowering - Fix: sprayed window seals with silicon spray. Cost: £2.50
#2. Rear wiper and rear screen heater not working. - Fix: sprayed boot hinges with GT85 to rectify poor earth. Cost: £2.50
#4. Tailgate hit me on the back of the head. - Fix: replaced gas boot struts. Cost: £23.00
#5. Hesitation on acceleration around 3,000 rpm. - Fix: sprayed MAF sensor wire with Contact Cleaner. (this was after OBDII diagnosis.) Sprayed throttle body with carb. cleaner Cost: £11.00
#6. Intermittent 'just click' starter problem. - Fix: problem isolated via diagnosis to inhibit starter relay. Replaced with s/hand one. Cost: £3.50
#7. Flat battery after standing problem. - Fix: Diagnosis revealed parasitic drain caused by rear camera screen draining even when not in use (this one is more my fault than a Puma one) Re-routed screen power to 'ignition on' path. Cost: £1.00

I grant you the cost would have been a fair bit more if I had taken it into a garage instead of diagnosing the faults myself, but even so, that's a pretty reliable car if that's all it can throw at me in all that time!

:)

about right...same silicone spray fix for the stiff window,1 hcv after it exploded!..2nd hand from here..a few quid,then just general service parts...amazingly cheap to run car.

Maybe it's the fact that more modern cars have many, many more stupid electrical gizmos that can and will go wrong and people are experiencing this all too often. Don't forget the Puma's not even fly by wire so just on the throttle pedal there's quite a few gubbins short of a more modern car.
Barry

Hi,
I must agree with Frank the Puma is the most reliable car I have owned. I have had mine for 13 years and it has now covered 111500 miles. It has never broken down. I bought mine in 2004 with 23000 on the clock.
Costs can be broken down into two categories service items which are dependent on use and mileage NOT reliability. Then there is the reliability category.
Service parts are as follows;
1 x battery
1 x exhaust system
1 x clutch
1 x discs
1 x rear brake shoes
1 x discs
2 x pads sets
3 x cam belts inc water pumps.
1 x rear brake pipes
1 x pair rear shocks.
2 x rear wheel cylinders
1 x pair front brake hoses
1 x coil pack
2 x abs sensors 1 rear 1 front
1 x lambda sensor
1 x heater control valve
2 x rear wheel bearing
Spark plugs, filters oils and fluids at relevant periods. Oh and of course tyres when needed.
These have all been service items which one would expect on any car. I think I have been lucky and have not suffered any niggily problems that other owners have encountered.

Regards,
Richard.

In a year, only a battery and a MAF have failed, on a 20 year old car that gets thrown around, that ain't bad.

in a year ive done this

handbrake cable
drives side abs sensor
drivers side window regulator
heating control valve
heater control panel
battery
sorted rear wheel arches
sorted general rust around car

tuonokid said:
[post]360037[/post] Maybe it's the fact that more modern cars have many, many more stupid electrical gizmos that can and will go wrong and people are experiencing this all too often.
I reckon the Puma came out at just the 'sweet spot' between makers finally learning how to make cars i.e. after the 'oops, there goes my head gasket', 'hmm, I seem to have no gears', 'another alternator packed up!', 'why is my wing mirror hanging down like that?', 'why is it so cold in here with the heater on? days ...and the start of the 'auto electronic age' where it really made sense with a few sensors, an ECU and OBDII, i.e. before it went all 'I can, therefore I will' electronically.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but Air Conditioning and a heater that actually gives out heat...all on a reliable motor costing less than a grand? :)

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
[post]360038[/post] I must agree with Frank the Puma is the most reliable car I have owned.
Comma maybe? You make me sound like Frank the Pug, from MIB I & II.

Latest posts

Back