Loud BANG and the car started to roll forward??!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi guys. I'd parked the car on a bit of a downhill yesterday and after pulling the hand brake up and locking the doors, I walked a few steps away and suddenly heared a loud "bang". I thought someone had thrown something at the car and broke one of the windows, noise was really loud, but when I turned around, I saw the car slowly rolling forward!!

I quickly opened the door and pulled the handbrake up, which was in down position to my surprise and the car stopped immediately.

After getting a heart attack for few minutes, I checked the hand brake many times, I thought the cable has snapped, but it worked as it should, so I'd parked the car on more of a flat surface.

Mot was done 2.5 months ago, they had to adjust the hand brake, but I haven't had any issue until yesterday.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Leave it in gear. :thumbs:

If it was a rear disc car you could argue the brake cooled meaning it could roll, but I assume you've drum brakes at the back for the handbrake? Maybe wearing or components inside worn?

Maybe it wasn't 'clicked' on the ratchet of the handbrake mech properly? Can't imagine how it's pull down otherwise unless it wasn't pulled up.

Sylvester said:
[post]361181[/post] around, I saw the car slowly rolling forward!!
Bet that put the wind up you. :p

Sylvester said:
[post]361181[/post] Any ideas?
Yeah, get your car fixed. Seeing phrases above like 'suddenly heard a loud bang' suggest that you or your garage will need to get under and sort that quicksmart. Start with the handbrake return spring (they 'fatigue') then ratchet pawl and then just work backwards.

Meantime, and indeed always, just triple park the car - #1. Handbrake on. #2. Put car in 1st gear, if on level ground or facing uphill. If facing downhill then place in reverse gear. #3. Turn front wheels slightly towards the kerb. If in the middle of nowhere then leave on full lock.

It's how it used to be done and it works.

Hi,
I have been to France and seen a 2 CV with wooden chocks under the wheels ... Spitfire ..chocks away Julian. Or in San Francisco always park with your front wheels in to the curb, I do believe it is in the equivalent of their highway code. Or just get your brakes fixed.

Sorry for the late reply, tablet''s screen was broken.

I might began to understand what could've happened. I always pull the handbrake up with the button held, so doesn't make that rattle noise. I had a quite bad day then and I was well unfocused and probably, when I was applying the hand brake, I might just let it go at the edge of the teeth. So when I closed the door and the slightly downhill put pressure on it, it just took a few seconds to slip off its position and went back to the lowest point, then the car started to roll forward, which by the way so indeed a few sweaty seconds. Yes I agree, should have left it in gear as well, now I'll keep that in mind :wink:

Latest posts

Back