Help seat swap airbag

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My-Puma-poppy

Hi so we were at a scrappy and found mint Thunder seats. My partner put the Thunder front seats in while we were there as not enough room in boot to put everything
And he noticed the yellow air bag clips were differ t so he cut the wire and clips off my old front seats and left them there thinking he could just splice the wires together. ,
So now back home and after googling which colour wires go to what and not finding a answer but finding we should have removed the prentensioners I think we have royally fucked up scrap yard had no signal so was unable to Google anything while there
Is there anyway to sort it out. The ones on my car have black and green wires. And the one one the puma have brown and blue.
Can I cut the Thunder seat wires and attach my old one if so what colour do I put together.
If not is there any way to sort out my problem my old seats were fucked

Please help

Hi
I think you've come across the same problem as I had only the other way around. The seat belt pretensioners, possibly the controller and the plugs as well as the mountings for the pretensioners are different between older and newer Pumas. When I swapped out my 2001 model seats for Recaros I just kept the 2001 pretensioners and modified the seats so that they mounted correctly. If you have a look on page 29 of my build thread it's on there.
Barry

:grin: I think this is deja vu from the Facebook group.

Same advice applies if not, the pretenioners need switching over.

Not seen the Facebook problem post but saw the wanted ad. Simple solution is fit the correct tensioners. You're actually quite lucky as they'll bolt up the same to the later seats.

Now if you have Millenium seats in a later car or were putting Thunder seats in something earlier you'd actually have real problems. I'm confident this one is easily sorted.

Yep my post is on Facebook too which I have had overwhelming response
I need to find pretensioners that are same as what I have. So keeping eyes open in sales pages and eBay and trolling the scrappys. Till I find the rights ones.
I need the ones with the green and black wire. To make it compatible with my car the thunders are blue and brown wire which are not.

they thunder seats fitted in no problem even with newly fitted mk1 focus centre console
very pleased with how shes looking now just need to sort out the pretensioners found one drivers side being posted today now just need the passager side one

Attachments

• leather poppy.jpg
    leather poppy.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,934
Hello,

I don,t wish to throw a spanner in the works here but........

I have recently purchased a cheap 1999 Puma & have a similar problem as the previous owner had 'upgraded' the seats to leather & told me that since fitting the seats the air bag light was on. I came on here & read up about the different types of pretensioners so checked mine & found the previous guy had indeed forced the leather seat pretensioner yellow connector (newer style) into the older style harness connectors. I purchased a couple of older type pretensioners from fleabay (from two sources) only to find one arrived different to the picture on fleabay & is actually the same type of unit as fitted to the car already BUT with the older style connector. The other one I purchased arrived & is the older style of unit with the older type of connector also. I decided to check what would happen if i plugged these two different styles of pretensioner in & found the air bag light went off. I am a bit confused now as according to my reckoning this would mean that either type of unit will work & put the light out as long as the connector is wired correctly - am I missing something here?

check out the pictures which clearly show the units are different (n/s unit is the same as already fitted to the car but has the 'older' style connector)

wiring plug on car harness (old style?)
Wiring harness plug.JPG

wiring connector on leather seat pretensioner (new style?)

Wiring connector on leather seat (new style).JPG

Old style? pretensioner with correct connector to fit car harness

IMG_0909.JPG

Newer style? pretensioner also with correct connector for car harness

IMG_0910.JPG

Both units - clearly different designs but both with correct connectors & air bag light goes out if both these are connected together (new style to n/s & old style to o/s)
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG

So...... by this reasoning then surely it should be ok to cut the correct connectors off & fit them to the pretensioners already fitted - I am confused as this goes against what people have previously said on here - again am I missing something here? I am new to Puma's so sorry if I am being a bit thick & this has been explained elsewhere but I couldnt find anything.

regards, Lee

Hi Lee, I think it's more complicated than that as there's more than two types so potentially you've managed to find a combination that still works.

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is but I think it's to do with the resistance.

Millennium tensioners are earlier in appearance but designed for use with the later control box, it appears this is what you have in those pics.

Need to know which interior and the age of your car to recommend what you actually need.

Ah ok Red... I hadn't realised there was more than two types of tensioner. I had read somewhere that one type was an explosive charge & the other was a spring so stupidly assumed that I needed the explosive type of tensioner - I thought I had come up trumps when I found a couple on fleabay but one (lets say slightly less than honest) seller had a picture of the 'explosive' type but actually sent the later spring type - when I went back to check the item on fleabay I found that in the description he had stated the tensioner had been pulled from a 2001 car which should have made me a bit more wary as the item in the picture had 'Puma 99' written on it.

Hi Ian, the car is a 99 model but the previous owner had changed the seats from the fabric type to leather - he didn't keep the original tensioners but had forced the connectors together (different types) & the light was on - the second Puma I have which was bought purely as a donor car is a 2000 model & the tensioners fitted in that one are the same as the ones on the leather seats (or so I thought but now not so sure after Red's revelation)

So now I have two tensioners that do turn the light out but will look a bit odd if I fit them as they are completely different in appearance ( oh the fun of fleabay shopping!!)

Lee

First things first ask Ebay for a refund and find someone who knows what they're doing.

Second thing you need the build dates of each car in question, there changeover dates are mid year so there's no such thing as a 99 or 2000 model, they're built when they're built and that's how you know.

Could also do with a pic of the seats so we know what style of tensioner you need to bolt up, being that the 2000 tensioners fit then I'm thinking it may be Thunder which is good news, sounds to me like you also need a pair of XS61-A61208/9-AA same as the OP but lets see the build date to know exactly. Reg or last 7 digits of the VIN is enough.

Latest posts

Back