Good News, Bad News!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pkp

The good news is, that Pumas are now worth up to £2k with Ford Scrappage deal just announced.....

The bad news is that it increases the likelihood of Pumas being scrapped, which does annoy me as more and more classics are likely to disappear from our roads, and not just Pumas.

I'm assuming (cause I can't be assed reading any of the articles about it) that it won't be cash so much as money offset on a new purchase.

Daft thing is the most likely people to be able to take advantage of the scheme are those with the cash to add to the deal to actually afford the new car, in reality the real polluting cars are probably those run on a shoe string budget due to circumstances and those owners have not a hope in hell in getting hp or raising the cash needed.
In theory I could get also £2000 for my 10 year old c-max but as the emmisions were so low as to barely register at its MOT it would hardly help reduce pollution, same applies to buttercup and probably most other well looked after Puma's or older Fords
Marketing hype nothing more, still aimed at people with money

zinc2000 said:
[post]364853[/post] still aimed at people with money
Ever wondered why you see so many new cars at car shows? Not all is as it seems - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-4668644/Could-cars-sold-finance-trigger-financial-crisis.html

With financial crises (2008, etc), some is reality and some perception - in other words, all the time people don't realise how bad things are, then they don't panic and make things worse. Above all, they must keep spending - hence the 2009 scrappage scheme and these days the no questions asked car finance.

This Ford scheme is just another part of that and has almost nothing to do with anti pollution goals, but with keeping money moving. Nothing wrong with that, as it also keeps and creates jobs, but knowing why things happen is also good.

Meantime, the Government just keeps the plates spinning and, like Wilkins Micawber, hopes 'something will turn up'. :)

red said:
[post]364847[/post] "Up to" :lol:

Probably more like £100
From £2,000. I know this because the Ford Main Dealer, where I had my cambelt done when they had a special offer on, has just sent me an E Mail about it. Here's the small print -

^If you trade in any Car or Commercial Vehicle that was registered up to and including 31st December 2009 you can receive between £2,000 and £4,950 (Inc. VAT) Scrappage saving off the Recommended On The Road Price of a New Ford Car. Offer available on All-New Fiesta (Excl. Style); B-MAX (Titanium / Titanium X Navigator only); Focus (Excl. ST & RS); C-MAX; Grand C-MAX and Kuga models only. New Ford cars must be contracted between 21st August and 31st December 2017 (the “Contract Date”) and registered between 1st September and 31st December 2017. Scrappage vehicle must have been registered to the customer for at least 90 days before the customer’s Contract Date. Customer savings of £2,000 to £4,950 (Inc. VAT) available dependent on model line. Offer not available in conjunction with any other customer saving programme. Available to retail customers only (Excl. Privilege and Ambassador). ^^ If you trade in any Car or Commercial Vehicle that was registered up to and including 31st December 2009 you can receive between £3,650 and £7,000 (Excl. VAT) Scrappage saving off the Recommended Retail Price of a New Ford Commercial Vehicle. Offer available on Transit Courier; Transit Connect (Excl. Base); Transit Custom; Tourneo Custom and Transit models only. New Ford Cars must be contracted between 21st August and 31st December 2017 (the “Contract Date”) and registered between 1st September and 31st December 2017. Scrappage vehicle must have been registered to the customer for at least 90 days before the customer’s Contract Date. Customer savings of £3,650 to £7,000 (Excl. VAT) available dependent on model line. Offer not available in conjunction with any other customer saving programme. Available to retail customers only (Excl. Privilege and Ambassador).

I *think* the new car choices vary from dealer to dealer.

Seems like a good deal? Well, ask yourself this, apart from that one occasion back in 2003, when was the last time anyone ever did pay the full 'Recommended On The Road Price of a New Ford Car' anyway?

This relates to the finance stuff that I mentioned above - did you know people were clocking the mileage on their cars because of it? - I sure didn't - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-5205819/Car-clocking-spiked-25-2014.html

You can add to that, PCP/PCH leasers who chip engines, fit tuning parts/exhausts/brakes/suspension etc., thrash the cars during the lease period, then refit the original standard parts before returning, and you have to wonder what people are actually buying.

I work at a 'main dealer' (not Ford), and we've certainly seen quite a few clocked lease/PCP cars - the costs for going over the mileage allowance can be vast.

Personally, I always hated the 'scrappage scheme' - not because of what it was but the fact it was done under the pretence of being 'environmentally friendly'. Far better, I think, to maintain cars than be constantly using raw materials to build new ones. I bet a fair few Pumas were sacrificed for new KAs/Fiestas the first time around.

Really, though, I think anyone swapping a Puma in this scheme isn't really a Puma-fan, as most of us here see more value in our cars for what they are than the monetary value at trade-in. It's just a shame that all thse 'spare parts' will simply be left to rot or be crushed - parts that could keep our own Pumas on the road for longer, which is surely the point of being 'green' anyway!

Latest posts

Back