6000CD

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterboard

I've decided I'm fed up with no Bluetooth in the Puma but I love driving it so much.
As follows..
Superchipped, skimmed / ported / flowed head, air box modified, K&N panel filter, 54mm throttle valve, missing exhaust middle box and maybe a sneaky decat.... 4 branch manifold, lightened and balanced flywheel, lightened rods - polished and shot peened and she loves to go.
Currently working on another head, big valves and more port volume - will be interesting but after a while it starts to destroy driveshafts and gearboxes :(

Anyhow, I'm useless with non mechanical stuff so, is there a Bluetooth upgrade to the standard CD player or is there a replacement CD player with Bluetooth that looks like it belongs in the car?

Any suggestions welcome - thanks.

I don't believe that any of the Puma's had an aux in (I could be totally wrong though, maybe someone can correct me) and the unit is 1.5 DIN (approximately) which means there are no direct fit aftermarket replacements (that I know of).

So that leaves you with 3 options.

The first is a fascia adaptor and a single din unit. There are plenty of decent bluetooth capable single DIN units, however, they will not match the colour of the console. The fascia is also black. You could paint the fascia, but I doubt you will be lucky enough to find a CD Player that matches. You could try some of the marine grade ones that offer more selection in silver, but they are more expensive for the same functions.

The second option is to install a double DIN unit. This involves modifying the console (slightly) and whether it looks as though it belongs or not is something you would need to decide. Again, 99.9% of these are black.

The third option is to find a later model Ford unit that came with an AUX in. I think you should be able to find something that is the same size. I am not sure if all of the 6000CD models over the years were the same size, the later ones had an aux in, but the more modern ones also all seem to be black (that I have seen). If you could find one of these, you could pick up a cheap bluetooth receiver (around 20 to 30 pounds) and plug it into the aux.

I suggest you check out the "In car entertainment" section, there are some good tutorials in there.

Oh, I totally forgot about another option that works if all else fails...

In my Picasso I couldn't remove the factury unit as it stops the displays working on the dash. There are a bunch of Bluettoh receivers around that plug into your lighter socket and emit what it receives via an FM radio frequency. These are mostly terrible.

I did a similar set up, but using an inline antenna receiver. The inline ones are a simple box that fits inline with your antenna cable. You cut the cable, connenct each cut end to one side of the unit. The unit has a simple 3.5mm aux in and a switch to change from "Antenna" to "Aux". This transmits the audio to your stereo on a radio frequency like the cheap ones mentioned above, but it does so via cable (disconnecting the antenna at the same time) which means there is no interferance from radio stations etc. I hid this inside the dash, stuck a small bluetooth receive on the dash by the cd player and when I want to listen to my phone, or use hands free, I just flick a tiny switch and hit preset one on the radio.

Hope this helps!

BTW, the way I have it in the Picasso works great, but I would choose any of the other three options first ;)

For a dirty hack, use a FM transmitter and plug it into your headphones socket.
I hide mine in the cig drop-down area!

Later 6000CD have the aux socket and are available in silver.

Connects2 have a range of control boxes which break out to phono

http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTVFOX001

I discovered this forum last month while looking for an answer to this question: the "connect 2" Ian recommends did the job and was super-easy to install. I can only add that you might want a longer or perhaps a sexier-looking aux lead than it's supplied with, depending where you want to run it out to. Dropped mine into the ashtray (drilled a little hole) where i hide a bluetooth receiver; tidy!

Latest posts

Back