Erratic revs

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldcut

My revs are erratic , sometimes the rev limiter is normal but most times it plays up. When I'm driving along sometimes, the revs hardly drop.
When I'm changing gear, the revs hardly drop.
I could be doing 40 on the road, take my foot off the accelerator and the car revs would stick on 2,000 and not drop unless I brake.
I did change the throttle position sensor about a year ago and it was a bit better but now it's playing up.
It probably wasn't the best TPS as it was off ebay for about £10.
Im going to get the fuel filter changed the weekend to see if that helps.
Any other ideas?

Sounds as though you may have a sticky throttle flap, crap builds up around the edges of the flap preventing it closing properly, hence not dropping the revs, could also be a slight air leak somewhere on the intake system.
Check the actual throttle cable as well, make sure the outer cable is not kinked or or broken
throttle body/flap are easy to clean, air leak would take a bit longer to trace, so go the checking/cleaning route first see if it helps

Below steering column, it is, as name implies, connected to the clutch pedal. It tells PCM that driver has depressed clutch pedal.
ICV try frist cleaning. It is simple job, just use some serious carburettor cleaner to clean it and that should help.
While at it, take down MAF and clean it CAREFULLY. The wire inside shoudl be metallic clean, most probably is brown. Use just carburettor cleaner, DON'T touch it with anything!

Wild E. Coyote said:
Below steering column, it is, as name implies, connected to the clutch pedal. It tells PCM that driver has depressed clutch pedal.
ICV try frist cleaning. It is simple job, just use some serious carburettor cleaner to clean it and that should help.
While at it, take down MAF and clean it CAREFULLY. The wire inside shoudl be metallic clean, most probably is brown. Use just carburettor cleaner, DON'T touch it with anything!
Is the clutch switch inside under the carpet or outside?
Got a pic?
I did the MAF sensor a few months ago, I'll clean the ICV next.
Cheers!

Outside, picture here:

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=349813#p349813

Just a quick update,
The car has ran great for 5 days but today on this winter morning, the revs don't drop as normal, so im putting it down to the cold weather and possibly the throttle flap sticking or something else sticking.
Either way ive ruled out the clutch switch and other sensors.

Hi.
I had the same issue with.mine when I first had it and also my FRP.
The FRP needed a new power steering load sensor whilst the standard puma had a connection issue with the same sensor.

Try that if you're still having problems.

One other thing, if your throttle peddle is sticky replace the cable. My standard has always had a slightly sticky throttle peddle compared to daughter's puma and this week I broke down with the car stuck at approx 6000rpm. I've had a new cable put on and what a difference...and just to be sure a new TPS also.

Latest posts

Back