steering pulling right ?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyfreestyler

hi dont know if this is the right place for this but ,the car pulls to the right under hard acceleration !
I changed the shocks all around and lowered it 40mm , had the tracking reset and most of the bushes have been changed.
it also has a trickiery under the bonnet giving i would say an extra 10 bhp but i still worry about the way it pulls right
?

any one got any opinions ? lets here them please

thanks guys an girls

I note At the beginning of the post it's pulling to the right by the end it's pulling to the left ?
1) Was it pulling whichever way before you had it tracked? If so is it better or worse now?
2) Have you checked the Tyre Pressures are correct?
3) Are either of the front calipers sticking slightly?
4) Is there any play in the Front Wheel Bearings?
5) Was the rear axle beam aligned to the body correctly if the rear beam bushes were changed?
6) Which garage Tracked it and what did they set the tracking to?

^^Not that it matters which but is it pulling both left and right?

I'd start by getting it tracked again somewhere else personally. I went to a certain national tyre and exhaust chain for two tyres and four wheel tracking on their hunter equipment and afterwards the car then pulled right way worse than when it went in, I took it back twice and it only improved marginally.

I had a service done with my local Ford not long afterwards and asked them to change the other two tyres (rear) and track it again (four "four" wheel tracking alignments done within 2 months). They said it was miles out on the rear and a bit out on the front, well I can tell you it's bang on now, probably better than it's ever been (Had the car 2.5 years).

sorry dont know why i put left at the end ? doh !

Thanks for the replies

Right heres a bit more info for you and a question.

First the beam axle bushes where change for the poly bushes didn't drop the mounts from the body ,so they should still run straight (can they be re-aligned ? thought that they were a static point ? ) then changed all the struts and springs (the german ones off ebay about £260 tuv approved so can't be that bad ) and did the rear brake shoes and drums ,front end got new pads and a clean and put the rear tyres on the front and the front on the back as there was abit of wear on the inner edge of the tyres ,but still legal (tracking was out a bit ).
Then had the tracking done afterwards cause it was running off left and right, over bumps, white lines, butterflies wings, basically anything that got in the way. set to 1.7 on there screen on't know if that helps don't know if thats degrees or mm !
After getting the tracking one it was a really noticeable pull to the right so turned the steering arm out by a 1/4 turn and that really helped, running straight with no hands on the steering wheel, great on the main roads but as soon as i push my foot into the carpet (within the speed limit officer aahhhmm) it pulls to the right if I'm turning left its not noticeable but to the right its more so ?
Tyres are Toyos and set at 30psi

Incase your intreasted the kit from germany seems good value rides pot holes alot better and goe's around corners so much nicer ,only went for the 40 mm drop as I have to drive over loads of speed humps to get anywhere around here (ggggrrrr f**king speed humps ) and i would say buy them if your on a budget like myself defo better than 110,000 mile old shocks.

Get a four wheel alignment done, the difference afterwards is amazing, the new bushes will probably move the beam despite you not having dropped it.
And why are you running 30psi? way to hard, will wear the tyres very quickly and you will be losing grip as well, put them down to handbook settings and see if that alone helps

The tracking was done to the 4 wheels said the back was ok ! and the front was adjusted then readjusted by myself (feels so much better ,they were close I got it spot on LOL)
and the tyre pressures are 2 psi above ford specs for motorway miles !, so don't know what else I can do .

Standard Puma (195/50 VR 15) - Psi (Bar):

Up to 100 mph and short time driving over 100 mph:
Normal load, up to 3 people: Front 29 (2.0), Rear 28 (1.9)
Full load, more than 3 persons: Front 37 (2.5), Rear 41 (2.8 )

For continuous speed over 100 mph:
Normal load, up to 3 people: Front 32 (2.2), Rear 31 (2.1)
Full load, more than 3 persons: Front 40 (2.7), Rear 41 (2.8 )

You might want to try braking hard with your hands off the steering wheel..... somewhere safe of course. Should stop in a straight line if geometry etc is correct. One assumes trackrod lengths are identical, because if they are not, you might get a steering effect with braking or acceleration.

Early front wheel drive cars did suffer with torque steer, a road test of the Montego Turbo I'm sure had the phrase "...virtually uncontrollable under hard acceleration..." but that might just have been AR build quality....

Keep the shiny side up...

Latest posts

Back