Puma 1.7 Rebuild

General discussion area relating to the Ford Puma, any off topic or threads that are deemed chat/waffle will be moved to the relevant areas! Please keep ON TOPIC at all times.

Moderator: Moderators

Simonavis
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: 1.7

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by Simonavis » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Simonavis wrote:
Wild E. Coyote wrote:
Simonavis wrote:
No you are not mistaken they are they Honda set. I am most grateful for your input and knowledge on the subject, it has more than likely saved me a small fortune!!!
I am sorry if you thought I was being condescending but I was just sharing the information I had been given, to try and get a balanced view on whether they were any good as they are a nightmare to source otherwise
No probs mate, just wanted to state it clearly what is the background of my doubt that those piston rings would work ok
Do you have a suggestion/solution to obtaining a set of piston rings as I would ideally like to put new rings in the rebuilt engine as I have sourced pretty much everything else apart from big end bearings
Wow!! Thank you so much :grin:. Your knowledge and levels of research are second to none, I have started reading your thread and so far your attention to detail is amazing and I am thoroughly looking forward to reading the rest of your thread.
Thanks again.
1 x
Who knew owning a cat becomes and obsession!!

joshua551
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by joshua551 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 am

https://www.puma-schmiede.de/shop/Motorentechnik
It's a german site, but they seem to have gottrn the big end bearings and the crankshaft bearings. Seen some high powered puma's they have build so I think they know what they are doing
1 x

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:57 am

Rebuilds delayed once more. He's hoping to get it started on Saturday. Personally I'm not stressing. It's out of my hands, plus if it's delayed past next pay day then I won't be as broke financially as I would if he gets it finished this month. Plodding along in the focus. It is comfier and roomier than the Puma but it just feels rather gutless and uninspired.

Ed
0 x

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Didn't happen this weekend. Apparently he's been working on a truck and my car is next on the list. He said he's over 50% cheaper than garages. A few weeks back I got him to quote me alloy wheel refurb and respray for all 4 wheels as the Puma's are pretty grotty. He quoted me £275 and I've no idea if that's cheap? It sounds reasonable enough.

I figure a conservative estimate for the engine rebuild if he's over 50% cheaper than garages would be £1500-2000 for the rebuild. Does that sound about right? He said he'll keep me posted with pictures and detailing what in the engine is worn and requires replacing. So I'll keep updated on here just in case anyone spots anything amiss.

Ed
0 x

CherryVimto
Guru!
Guru!
Model: Other

Re: Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by CherryVimto » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:02 am

I contacted a company down here in Hampshire regarding wheel refurbs... they strip, repair and powder coat at £50 per wheel or £150 for a full set of 4.
That is priced on the basis that the wheels don't have tyres on them.
0 x

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Re: Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 am

Hmm, he's not so cheap then. Bugger.
0 x

ian cox
Adolescent
Adolescent
Model: Thunder

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by ian cox » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi
I have my Thunder wheels currently at Warfield wheels. £180 plus VAT for 4 chemical strip, blast, powder coat base, paint silver and powder coat lacquer. Drop the car around last Saturday, 9th, he jacks the car up does the wheels and I collect next Saturday, 16th. Let you know how it goes. So includes tyre removal, refit, valves and rebalance.
Ian
0 x

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Little worried how much this engine rebuild is going to cost me now I've seen a few people's prices on refurbs. Here's hoping it's not too big a dent to my wallet.

Ed
0 x

XAF
Project Petrol Head!
Project Petrol Head!

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by XAF » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:00 am

I guess my question is does it need it? I had my 160k engine taken apart of of interest more than anything, and the bottom end, bores and rings were virtually as new. The valves were a bit carboned up but other than that it was perfect. Ended up just having the head stripped, new seals etc and painted / cleaned up. All in with parts, cambelt, new PS pipes etc was nearer £1k. Have a look at my ‘restoration of 19688’ thread
1 x
2000 Puma Lux
2000 FRP #477

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:41 am

The more reviews I read about puma's the more I think a rebuild might be a little unnecessary. Thing is, if the engine is in as good nick as yours was, then the rebuild should be cheap.

I'll check out the thread.

He hasn't started yet. Been doing some work for a pikey who's started causing him grief (what a surprise). The trucks done now though, so the puma is next. His initial question when we first spoke still plays in my head "so what engine do you want in it then."

He recommended a 2.0 silver top. I am thinking an eBay bargain engine swap might work in the puma's favour, depending on what it is. If I had the money I'd happily put the ST180 engine in it. But that's a little out of my price range. I know the 1.7 had decent tuning potential and I'd love to hear it with ITB's. But in all honesty, I miss the oomph of a turbo. I know LMS does tuning builds and parts. But what about longevity? Would a 1.7 engine handle a low compression turbo build and go the distance? Feels like going too custom with this project in terms of power could result in reliability issues. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

At the same time though, this'll be a daily driver, so I want reliability and 40 mpg ideally if driven like a granny. Then again, when I drive sensibly and top out at 50 on main roads and 55 on dual carriageways and motorways in the slow lane I tend to easily exceed manufacturers mpg figures. I must admit, as dull a car as it was, I miss my Celerio's insane fuel economy. Most economical petrol car so far I believe at over 70mpg. Wasn't too bad when you ragged it either. Just the weird shape made body roll and cornering a little too intense. Also, in 5th gear it had over 2500 rpm left but it couldn't make it any further than 105mph. The three pot engine had a nice engine note when you gave it some beans though.

Ed
0 x

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Can't believe the puma was picked up on the 26th May. Well I can now confirm the rebuild is starting on Friday. He asked me what my end goal is in terms of usage, horsepower, rev limit etc. The aim is around 170-180 bhp as the end goal is ITB's and sports cams along with exhaust, ported head, modified manifold. According to Lightning Motorsport tuning packages that sort of horsepower is achievable.

He's asked for £250 initial payment. This'll cover removing the engine and taking it apart to see what needs replacing on it. Currently we're looking at a budget of around 2k for the rebuild. I can go up to £3500 if needs be however he said 2k should cover it. But it's all based on wear and tear of the engine. Judging from a reply on here and others I've looked into a puma with 105k on the clock shouldn't need that much replacing on it (fingers crossed).

After that it'll be buying the manifold, sports cat and exhaust system. A friend of mine who bought my last puma went on a Puma meet up and the rolling road showed a 12bhp increase from a full piper manifold/exhast system installed. Plus the pop/crackle is addictive. I think I might go for 3" slash cut rather than 4" as it is a little boisterous.

Ed
0 x

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:16 pm

He said he'll give me a call on Saturday once he's taken the engine apart to give me an idea on costs for the rebuild. If I can afford it I'll get sports cams fitted. If I'm doing even better with the budget I'm thinking of getting a larger throttle body. In an ideal world I'd get the head ported too but I think that might take me into the red and I want to do this build without the need of a loan or going into my overdraft.

I'll keep you posted on Saturday :)

Ed
0 x

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:29 pm

No call on Saturday. I text him on Monday and he advised me the engine is out but he hasn't taken it apart yet. He said he'd take it apart on Tuesday and send me a text to let me know the condition of the engine and a rough guide price on the rebuild cost.

Tuesday - no text.

Wednesday - his day off. His wife said he's spending most of the day in the workshop working on the engine.

Should hit another pay cheque before this rebuild is done I reckon. So then I definitely won't be in the red at all when it comes to getting the final bill.

Here was me thinking I was bad with time keeping. I suppose at least work is finally under way. :roll:

Ed
0 x

raggamuffin
Adolescent
Adolescent

Puma 1.7 Rebuild

Post by raggamuffin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Got a text last Friday to confirm the engine is in average condition. He got the head off and is finishing up stripping it down tonight. He said labour for the rebuild will be £750. I'll get confirmation of parts required/pricing in the next few days.

Ed
0 x

Return to “Puma Area”