External fuel pump?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CherryVimto

As most of us will know, getting to the fuel pump is a royal pain the proverbial and not a job many of us would look forward to.

To gain future access to my pump, I am considering cutting an access hole in the floor above the pump and blanking it off with a plastic cover. I had a Vauxhall Nova many years ago that had the same 'setup'.

During a random moment of thought (yes, they do happen!) I had considered installing an external/inline fuel pump.

So, in general and not taking into account the cost/practicability of doing such an install.....

Would the existing pump be removed from the mounting/sender assembly and be adapted with extra piping for the 'pickup' with the external pump being situated somewhere between the tank and the engine?

Would the fuel tank be modified to give a low 'outlet' to supply the external pump (although this tells me we'd giving way for dirt to get out of the tank)?

All taking in to account there would still be a fuel filter between the tank and the pump.

As a side note, would we consider it 'good practice' to install fuel lines inside of the car, on the basis that the car is stripped out, like for track days...?

Latest posts

Back