58mm throttle body

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterboard

I’m like a kid waiting for Christmas..
Fitting up a stock throttle body that’s been machined, sleeved and pinned to 58mm
The manifold has been machined and tapered to match so the gas flow stays up but this will be interesting.
I’ve been running 54mm throttles for a while and love the extra bottom end and induction noise you get but I suspect 58mm will start to hit the upper end of what the injectors can deliver inspite of remapping.
If it runs ok on a stock motor I’ll try it on the tuned engine - see how it behaves...

Noooo.
I go for elegant solutions, all puma throttles so you have no messing around.
Fit, forget. Nice.

Holy moly,
So the 58mm puma throttle conversion means you have to machine out beyond the original casting and sleeve it with some good quality thin aluminum pipe.
Looks a little weird but when you offer it up against a standard throttle body the difference is very apparent. The manifold is all done so the whole thing flows very nicely. I think there’s potential to go out to 60mm but let’s see how this one effects a moderately tuned engine...

What size are the standard throttle bodies??

How much difference does 54mm make?

Do you want to sell your 54mm's??

Just curious really, looking for a little more power!

Standard are meant to be 50mm, real pea shooter stuff.
If you measure the internal ID of the narrowest part of the throat it’s just under 50mm and then steps out to 50mm which is kinda dense.
On a stock engine it makes the throttle feel fatter - better bottom end and generally more power with peak power happening in the same place.
I’ve got 4 pumas so not looking to sell - I’m a hoarder unfortunately but the guy advertises on eBay or I can give you his number.
54mm is a trouble free and very sensible route to a more driveable Puma. I’m fitting the 58mm this weekend so I’ll try to dyno it next week - before and after cams go it :)

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'm definitely interested in a 54mm so yes please for contact info, a link to eBay if possible please?

Are they easy to fit? And don't need any other tuning?? Just a straight swap for standard and enjoy 🙂??

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392074308758

Guessing this is the guy??

Sorry final ask... what sort of performane/power/drive difference would I expect going from 50mm to 54mm?

No dyno time available so I can’t show it in a visual form. You simply get more grunt everywhere. You would have to flow the manifold to match the new throttle but I would suggest it’s the first thing anyone does re. tuning

So it's not just as simple as swapping then?

Flowing the manifold sounds expensive.

Yes - it’s as simple as swapping throttles - easy.
Take the manifold to somewhere good, you need to taper it and blend the tract. Do it yourself or about £40 from a decent machine shop. Make up the manifold to throttle body gasket or it’s £25 from ford.
Oh, take out the spazzy box inside the air box as the induction noise becomes deeper and sounds more meaningful...

Thought I’d report back on the outcome.
The big throttle is a great success, bottom end is insane and she just pulls and pulls.
It was a straight swap, no hassles what so ever.
I’ve got back the torque that was lost from going to 205 boots and gained some.
Well recommended..

J

Have you remapped the engine? I am asking because now it may be running lean with all the air flooding inside? If it is lean, you might burn the pistons and exhaust valves :?:

Ran her on stock, pukka.
Even better with a custom map, it’s clear the injectors can’t keep up at the very top of its rev range.
I really wouldn’t worry about the mix going lean, that’s kinda scaremongering and anyhow, the gas analyses shows pretty much right down the middle so all good.

Latest posts

Back