Running 205/50/15 boots

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterboard

Just thought I’d share this with everyone out there. I’ve put a set of 205 / 50 profile toyo’s on a puma with a mildly tuned engine. This car makes a healthy 145hp and isn’t peaky but motorway driving is horrible.
The bigger tyres make all the difference, you can keep up with faster moving traffic and the motor isn’t sounding tortured.
I wouldn’t say it was slower off the mark but probably is however 1st gear feels longer and I’d say this was a positive change.

Nice

Sounds good, just remember the faster you go with that set up the slower the speedo will read, nothing drastic but 70mph on the clock could actually be around 74/75mph
And if it helps it feel a little less stressed at speed then it is good, personally I enjoy the fact that at 55/60mph in top gear all you need to do is twitch your big toe and you have 80 mph showing :grin:

Don’t think such a small gain in tyre diameter would make any noticeable difference.As to engine sounding tortured I find the standard 1.7 engine is smoother running at 4500 rpm than 3500.Just wear earplugs ,I did 2x600 mile runs last week and had no problems .Find these little engines love spinning away at high revs all day long.

Tyre Circumference

205/50/15 = 72.44"
195/50/15 = 71.22"
+1.4%

So, if speedo over-reads with standard tyre, then probably more accurate!

Pkp said:
Tyre Circumference

205/50/15 = 72.44"
195/50/15 = 71.22"
+1.4%

So, if speedo over-reads with standard tyre, then probably more accurate!

The difference seems and feels like 4mph and the speedo now makes more sense at speed.
Pinged her up to 5600rpm, that was quite rapid !!!

So, a little over a week after fitting the bigger boots I notice a couple of things. The car is slightly softer in terms of the way it drives. It still corners well but it’s just a little softer. It’s definitely a step slower than it was to accelerate so perhaps a high flow cat is needed.
At speed it’s a different car - massive improvement as cruising at 80mph has the motor right in the sweet spot so she settles down perfectly.
Quieter and able to cruise without wringing it’s neck.
Like it!!!

Latest posts

Back