'Cheap-n-Cheerful' Thunder... or expensive Millenium?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinfdavies

Evening all,

I've posted an intro in the 'newbie' area, but I figured I'd re-ask the main question in here to get a bigger audience :grin:

I'm trying to decide what sort of purchase route to take when buying my first Puma. It will mainly be used on wet days over winter to protect my mint condition motorbikes. Although I'll still take it out for an occasional blast of course!

Options:

A) Cheap n Cheerful >>> Current contender is a high mile 'Thunder' (so the seller claims) with a few cosmetic issues but 9 months MOT for only £500. If it can't pass the next MOT, then I'll break it for parts (leather, wheels, stereo, wings etc) for another Puma. Can buy cash.

B) Middle of the road >>> A good condition private sale at £1000ish, but will need to save up a bit more.

C) Nice trade car >>> Current idea is something like a Millenium edition for £2000ish, hopefully on 12-24 months finance. Should last longer than a cheap one, but will I ruin it by driving it though the winter salt? Hmmmm.

Thoughts?

I replied in your other thread, peoples idea of condition is all subjective. The only way to see what you get for your money is to go and see a few and compare the condition of the sills, rear arches, seat belt mount points, general underneath etc etc

They're all rusty, I'd be buying the cheap Thunder and putting a few grand in to it and having a 2 grand Thunder that's actually going to be a good car. Unlike the more expensive ones which will be identical underneath but cost you five times as much.

That's what I'm thinking. With the money I save, I can get a proper full engine and suspension service. With motorbikes at least this makes a MASSIVE difference. And if it's too far gone by May for it's next mot (although none of the previous ones had issues), then I've gone a nice car for breaking to put into a new one etc.

Well, following a phone call to the owner, I've got some finance sorted, and booked my train ticket to go and collect it. My first car in 10 years! Proper excited!

Latest posts

Back