Prep for Regularity Rally - Suggestions?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAC

To cut a long story short, my plan is to take the Puma off the road for a while. One of the reasons is that I need a four door car for a while (I am about to become a father again 16 years later) but I would also like to start taking part in "Regularity Rallies" and the Puma seems like a perfect candidate.

I am not sure if you guys have "Regularity Rallies" in the UK, but basically it consists of doing stages at a consistent speed rather than as fast as possible. I won't get in to more details (unless asked) but it is much more fun than it sounds :D

Anyway, there are various categories, all for cars over 25 years old, depending on what "preparation stage" the car is in. As you can no longer make a rally car road legal here, and I am also not wanting to spend a fortune, I am planning on preparing the Puma for the basic category for "stock" cars. This category means that the car should be original, or at least only have changes that are legally accepted on the vehicle (so no roll bars, bucket seats, special suspensions, brake upgrades, etc.).

I believe that the Puma in it's stock form should be quite capable of competing against other cars of it's time (or older).

Anyway, I have 3 years in which I would like to prepare the Puma to be as competitive and reliable as possible in it's stock form, so I am looking for suggestions on what parts would be good to replace (although not broken) and what would be a good list of basic spares to carry to the events.

Quick summary of the car:

Puma 1.7
Built in '97
130.000km (80.000 miles)
Completely stock.

Thank you all in advance for any advice, input or general comments you may have!

Are standard parts from other cars allowed?

If not, then basic stuff such as decent discs and pads; make sure your brake fluid is refreshed.
Get your alighnment done so that the car runs straight and turns in well.

Unfortunately no parts from other cars, so brake upgrade is a no go. Just decent discs and pads will have to suffice. Just job it's a little lighter on brakes than others competitions.

I can add a brace and swap out the bushes, but suspension would need to stay as is (although I will renew it).

Have you joined the Targa Rally UK facebook group? Sure they'd be able to help.
I can't fathom what class you're aiming to run in as I'm not aware of any restriction on brakes on suspension or otherwise, unless you're trying to run in historic classes (which the Puma isn't eligible for AFAIA).

Latest posts

Back