Damp Garage...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_penfool

Another noob question.
So my lovely red Puma is kept in the garage and only use it couple of times a week.

My question is from a rust prevention point of view given that the garage is a bit damp am I stupid to be keeping a Puma in there over the winter.

And is there anything you would recommend doing to make it less damp or prevent the Puma rusting.

Adequate ventilation is key.
If its a concrete panelled garage, this can be a common problem.
Things that will help is ensuring that there is a through draught from the opening door to the back wall, which maybe as simple as adding a few air bricks on that wall, assuming it doesn't have a door. If it has a door, chase out a couple of inches of the floor just in front of the door frame and then a corresponding width below the door frame to the outside. This will help a lot.
Furthermore concrete floors themselves are often damp , to help with that, use an old living room carpet to cover.
This will make it a lot warmer to work on your car in all weathers.

Hi
As suggested above it depends on the construction methods used to build the garage
I had a garage with concrete floor, laid straight on the earth so no damp course, with single brick skin, corrugated roof and up and over metal door.
The floor allowed moisture to rise up through it and the condense on parts of the car. Nightmare.
I sealed and painted the floor then put chipboard flooring down. It helped a lot. Painting the floor will also prevent continuous concrete dust rising up form it.

Another method is to put in a dehumidifier and or large silicon bags to dry the air out inside and outside the car.

I am lucky as my current garage is integral to the house so with a painted and carpeted floor. :grin:

Kind regards Ian

It's a Concrete base with single bricks and then an Asphalt type roof.
Guess I need to think about adding some ventilation and sealing/painting the floor.

I have a car sitting in my large shed which allows condensation to form on the car in damp murky mild weather. My answer is a couple of cheap tall stand fans blowing air over the car for 10 minutes every hour on a timer, this has cured the problem and I only switch it on in relevant weather. I've had my XR2 in a brick garage for over 20 years now and use a dehumidifier and never had a condensation problem, catch tank is plumbed to outside so no need to empty.

Latest posts

Back