Is it time to let my Puma go :(

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbrew

Hi Everyone
I've come here to read for info but never posted before. My beloved "r" reg green Puma has just failed it's MOT. I've had her for 14 years and she's been ace. The garage is saying they can't fix it because they don't do welding. I don't know whether to find somewhere that will weld it or do I have to let it go? This is what it's failed on:

- Macpherson strut pin or bush excessively worn nearside rear
- Macpherson strut pin or bush excessively worn offside rear
- integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting
Nearside rear (inner sill)
- integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting
Nearside rear (outer sill)
- Brakes imbalanced across an axle rear (axle 2)

Would it cost too much to put this right? Would it take a long time to fix? Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated? Cheers everyone :)

Well the other bits should be reasonable, it's just the rust and getting that sorted out might not be cost effective so I guess it depends on how much you love the car and whether you want to invest in keeping it on the road.

There's usually two distinct repairs styles

Weld something on to get it through the MOT and last for a little bit longer
Get it in to a body shop for a proper panel repair / replacement, get it treated and re-painted.

As you can guess, there's usually quite a price difference between the two!

I've never had it done but have read many threads on the topic.

Good luck.

Thanks Red any idea on prices for the first option welding...just a very rough idea would be appreciated as I haven't got a clue? :?

Latest posts

Back