Puma Genuine Ford rear arch protectors

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T16

Did the Puma ever have available as an option, some black plastic rear arch protectors that Ford fitted at customer request/recommendation?

Someone is telling me that their Puma had this these black plastic arch protectors fitted at the Ford Dealership way back during its early life, but I am struggling to see or find any evidence this was an official Ford part.

I am also wondering that if not sealed correctly, whether they would actually act as a big moisture trap, and be hiding disintegrating arches behind....

Anyone heard of these?!

I should also ask... what is the BEST way to check rear arches when buying Pumas, I can hardly start taking off the rear "door" card to get eyes on the internal seams/box section! Peeling back the inner arch-liner enough to have a good look?

Thanks

If I peel back the arch carpet(liner in the wheel arch) would that help give any indication?, or is the only true way to take off the interior panels?

I had a rummage in the boot of an old Puma, and noticed on the left you can remove the side carpet easily, and it looks like with a mirror and torch you could look down along this square-ish looking box section adjacent to the wheel arch..

Seems suspicious to have stuff on the arch, either its 100% legit and has worked, or, it is there to hide a multitude of sins.

Failing that, are there any Puma experts/Enthusiasts in Scotland who could sort "dangerous" sill corrosion where the rear sus. mounts (according to failed MOT)....?

Picture of said arches here:-

$_86.JPG

imo that is not standard fitment. Never seen it before.

That's not to say that this owner doesn't believe it to be dealer fit though.

It's an Ebay item:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-Wing-Wheel-Arch-Trims-REAR-Left-Right-set-2-pcs-97-02-MATT-BLACK-SaLe/323276946978?fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3APuma&hash=item4b44cebe22:g:bsUAAOSw6VRbCmdM:rk:1:pf:0

Oh god, nightmare, looks like a moisture and corrosion trap!

Sadly, they are not genuine Ford anything. They are eBay bodges to hide rust!!

Turns out the arches were all bubbling, so the above wasnt too far off the mark. Real shame, the car was decent enough aside from that.

What was even more disturbing, was that they were glued on, and the adhesive was failing, so they were just sitting there trapping all sorts between the bodywork and the plastic. Bit of bubbling on the upper door sills too, so thats a lot of paint needed I think probably adding £1k or so to the price!

Had so much history and a decent engine/box!

No actual visible holes yet in the sills/arches, but the blistering/bubbling of paint from what I can work out with Pumas is bad as they corrode from the inside out.

Appreciate the feedback.

Any Puma this old would have some sort of rust.
I have done my arches (with filler and lasted two years so far), and sills have had to be repaired the past two years running.
Sounds like run of the mill stuff really, depends on asking price!

Hi All

I am new on here and wonder if you can recommend anyone for wheel arch repairs? i have rust which has returned after a fiber glass repair some three years ago. I suspect its time to cut out the bad metal and replace/respray!

Thoughts?

Additionally, do any of you recommend buying parts from ebay? or just go to Ford?

My heated front screen is not working (switch?) and the indicator stalk does not reset in one direction!

Finally (so demanding), are there any mods you would recommend to maximise the performance without anything too expensive or intrusive?

thanks in advance...

Jon

Cut out and respray is the best solution certainly.

Sounds like you need to replace your indicator stalks.

As for mods, that's a personal choice really and depends what your ultimately trying to do with the car.

Latest posts

Back