Requesting exhaust manifold 'how to' guide

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogee

Alright, just had a look through how to guides for an exhaust manifold guide, couldn't find one.

What I'm wanting to do is change std mani for 4-2-1 or similar with sports cat etc.

It looks a bit cramped at the back when you look in bonnet. How is access from underneath? Is there any scope to rotate engine forward if you remove torque mount?

Anyway I'd love some tips if anyone has already had a go at this. What are the fixings like to the head- are they going to be crumbly rust?

Hi Mate
The standard exhaust manifold and cat comes out through the engine bay ie upwards so first remove the heat shields (usually some of the small bolts/screws are seized). Next detach the exhaust system from the manifold under the car just behind the flexi joint (usually a pig of a job but if you're junking the rest of the exhaust you can cut the pipe just behind the flange. Then unbolt the cat support bracket from the side of the engine block and the cat and also unbolt the cat from the exhaust manifold. Then unbolt the manifold from the head and then you can lift the whole lot out in pieces from within the engine bay. (For the exhaust to head bolts you will need a good selection of preferably hex sockets universal joints etc as some of the bolts are awkward to get to).
For fitting the new exhaust manifold you will have to do it from underneath and you will need the car to be very high off the floor(probably over 2 feet). I'm lucky as I have a manhole cover in my drive so I just take the lid off that suspend the manifold down the manhole and then pull it up from within the engine bay. If you have a garage with a pit that will be ok as well. As you pointed out undo the torque link so the engine can be moved forward to get clearance for the new manifold to come in from below.
And that's it, good luck.
Barry

Thanks Barry, much appreciated. Going to be tough to get it 2ft in the air with axle stands but I might just get enough room, was thinking of investing in a new set anyway. Yeah I have a selection of semi decent sockets and extensions etc which should help.

Sounds like I need to keep my everyday car on standby for the job! First up I'm doing rear beam...

TBH I think you may struggle to get it high enough with normal axle stands unless you have lorry ones.
Barry

Latest posts

Back