Leaking front and rear oil seals 1.7 VCT Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perdrix

I've just had the local Ford stealership look at an oil leak on Mary's (SWMBO) Puma.

They say both engine front a rear oil seals are shot and are quoting £SILLY to fix (engine out, gearbox off, replace cam belt just in case).

Before deciding this a write off case, I'd like some pointers to alternative (good) people who can fix this at a more reasonable cost. I found a post by Chris Allinson in Nottingham saying he does this sort of stuff. Anyone else you can recommend, perhaps a bit closer?

Where am I - Kenilworth, in Warwickshire.

Thanks
David

Hi David. You're close to me in Southam. I've just used a new mechanic in Long Itch for a job on my wife's Espace, he is very cheap so I'll let you know if I'm happy. Supposed to be collecting tomorrow. Note - he is not what I'd call quick, but are any of us in a hurry right now?

David
I can recommend that you buy the following and add it to the oil. Initially add just 1 of the tins.
It can take up to 250 miles to soften the seals.
I have used this successfully on my Puma for the seals that you have problems with , as it re-softens them.
It also will re soften the valve stem seals in the head reducing your current oil consumption, due to loss down the 16 valve guides. but won't fix a leaking rocker cover gasket.

Halfords and Eurocarparts also sell this and can post out to you also.
This is a fair price for 2 tins including postage.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WYNNS-EN...463321&hash=item48a298c3b0:g:vJYAAOSwYkBZxRhi

Thanks for the stop leak tip, I bet there's a few of us with weeping seals wanting to give it a try.

Regarding the seal change job - my new mechanic Wayne sorted out my wife's Espace turbo (horrible job otherwise I'd have done it myself). We provided the parts and he changed it for £200 cash. Which is amazing I reckon.

Wayne's number is 07732 859459 and he's in Long Itch next to the Duck on the Pond pub.

Latest posts

Back