Blown breather pipe from gear box

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex11jg

Hey all, I've got a 2001 1.7 puma. Going up the Malvern hills a couple of days ago, she cut out with no life. Plenty of life in battery and starter motor is fine. Upon opening Binet I noticed oil has gushed everywhere from gear box. Somehow the breather pipe has blown out. Going to get oil and pipe today, but for the life of me can't understand why she's cut out and won't go again. Any help much appreciated

That's alarming...
How exactly is it behaving when you turn the key?
Did you check the engine oil? I don't understand how you could get oil gushing everywhere from the gearbox unless something else is going into it.
Because I dont know...what exactly does this breather pipe connect to?

Hi, thanks for the reply. It's just trying to start but won't catch. The breather pipe goes directly into gear box from the mount leaving a hole. It's gushed under the battery case so must have some force. Engine oil fine on dipstick.

Hi.

The breather vents straight into the atmosphere as far as I am aware. Check the coil pack or the crank shaft speed sensor, it is located on the front of the engine block right at the bottom tight in the corner near the bell housing flange. I have had instances wher bothe have failed on me and may be the cause.

Regards,
Richard.

Okay, well cranking but not starting is usually easy to narrow down at least. The fact that it was running and then died is important. Fuel/Spark/Air/Vacuum
Step one:
-Does the fuel pump turn on?
-Is the battery at 12V?
-Do you hear any vacuum leaks under the hood while cranking?
-Does it make any difference if the throttle is depressed?
-Is the PATS light flashing? (Do these cars have PATS? IDK)

Step two (assuming step one didn't uncover anything):
-Connect an OBDII reader and check codes.
-Try jump-starting the car from another running car. Sometimes batteries can have 12v but not provide enough amps.
-Inspect your battery cables closely. They can degrade under the insulation where you cant see it.
-Try jumping around your battery cables by connecting a jumper cable directly to your starter.

Step 3 (Assuming you still haven't found the problem)
-Check fuel pressure using a gauge https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universa...639898?hash=item1a84b58b5a:g:K3wAAOSwK1ZdhIQL
-Check vacuum using a gauge https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vacuum-F...4d779ff12b8aa39e4c13|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
-Check for spark at the spark plugs using a spark tester https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/5017020136?iid=154222140759

If you still haven't found the problem, make sure the injectors are getting voltage. You could remove and bench test them, but its unlikely that more than one has failed at the same time so thats probably not the problem.

The overflowing gearbox still doesn't make sense to me, but it might hold the key to your starting problem. If the battery cables, starter, or alternator were oil soaked, that could be your problem.

Thankyou both very much for taking time to reply, having read the last reply. I've just gone to check fuel pump and yeh spot on. Not hearing anything when turning ignition. I had to take her through a small flood the other week and I think that's done it. Also reading a faulty pump will let out a whistle when it's in its on last legs, I noticed had that issue the day before she cut out. I'm going to sort gear box issue 1st clean everything around there. Check a few cables around there. I will be doing the fuel pump myself when it gets here, I've spent too much on her this year in the garage and begrudge paying anymore towards her. Thanks both again for the reply

Hi Alex,
Now I’m no mechanic, but you mention in your last post that you’ve driven through some flood water, the air intake is set pretty low, whilst you’ve mentioned the gearbox several times, could it be that the flood water has been sucked into the engine causing hydraulic lock and forcing out the sump oil. I pray that didn’t happen !

the old gimmer said:
Hi Alex,
Now I’m no mechanic, but you mention in your last post that you’ve driven through some flood water, the air intake is set pretty low

Its not low ,unless the air intake has been modified. In standard form, it's routed from the airbox along the top of the passenger inner wing via a flexible hose, behind the inner wing carpet. However, if you have a FRP airbox mod fitted, yes you could have sucked in water because the air intake is then set low. If that's happened the engine will need rebuilding /replacing as the pistons or rods will be damaged,

Provided you have fuel ( press the shrader tyre valve in on the lhs of the fuel rail under the plastic cap) to see if fuel under pressure comes out and put a spare spark plug on the end of a lead, the outside of the plug threads earthing on the metal rocker cover , get someone to crank over the engine and see if that plug is sparking .Then report back with your findings for further advice.

Alex I would start as previously mentioned by checking you have a spark at the plug .
The fuel pump should buzz for a couple of seconds when the ignition is on but not with the key as far as cranking the engine. If not check the reset button for the fuel pump in the passenger lhs footwell hasn't been activated.

The gearbox breather has an arrow on it , many people mistakenly fit it back the wrong way around.
Doing so will cause oil to be forced out of the gearbox . So when you get your replacement the arrow must point to the front of the car.

Check that water or oil from a leaking rocker cover gasket isn't sitting around the spark plugs, because that would also prevent it from starting.

DOH said:
the old gimmer said:
Hi Alex,
Now I’m no mechanic, but you mention in your last post that you’ve driven through some flood water, the air intake is set pretty low

Its not low ,unless the air intake has been modified. In standard form, it's routed from the airbox along the top of the passenger inner wing via a flexible hose, behind the inner wing carpet. However, if you have a FRP airbox mod fitted, yes you could have sucked in water because the air intake is then set low. If that's happened the engine will need rebuilding /replacing as the pistons or rods will be damaged,

Provided you have fuel ( press the shrader tyre valve in on the lhs of the fuel rail under the plastic cap) to see if fuel under pressure comes out and put a spare spark plug on the end of a lead, the outside of the plug threads earthing on the metal rocker cover , get someone to crank over the engine and see if that plug is sparking .Then report back with your findings for further advice.

Alex I would start as previously mentioned by checking you have a spark at the plug .
The fuel pump should buzz for a couple of seconds when the ignition is on but not with the key as far as cranking the engine. If not check the reset button for the fuel pump in the passenger lhs footwell hasn't been activated.

The gearbox breather has an arrow on it , many people mistakenly fit it back the wrong way around.
Doing so will cause oil to be forced out of the gearbox . So when you get your replacement the arrow must point to the front of the car.

Check that water or oil from a leaking rocker cover gasket isn't sitting around the spark plugs, because that would also prevent it from starting.

Hi thanks for a the reply,
I've got a breather pipe, gear box oil and a crankshaft sensor on the way. There was oil around the some of the plugs but I didn't have time to try her again last night as it's pitch black by the time I finish work, so didn't have time to put the battery casing and everything back together. But I'm still not hearing the pump start up when turning ignition. Do you know if I can access Fuel pump from under rear seats? Safely as well I don't have tools to be cutting through.
Again thanks for your time

Unfortunately the fuel pump is not accessible from under the rear seats, so you would need to drop the tank - easy job but quite fiddly when trying to remove the fuel pipes from the top of the pump.

As DOH said, check the fuel pump safety/cut off switch. It's behind the carpet, passenger side footwell. There should be a plastic cap/cover down there you can look behind.
Press the red button down with your finger to make sure the switch it 'reset'.
Have you found/checked the fuel pump fuse/relay?

CherryVimto said:
Unfortunately the fuel pump is not accessible from under the rear seats, so you would need to drop the tank - easy job but quite fiddly when trying to remove the fuel pipes from the top of the pump.

As DOH said, check the fuel pump safety/cut off switch. It's behind the carpet, passenger side footwell. There should be a plastic cap/cover down there you can look behind.
Press the red button down with your finger to make sure the switch it 'reset'.
Have you found/checked the fuel pump fuse/relay?
Yeh I’ve tried fuse’s and relay. Cut of switch I’ve tried up and down. Just waiting on a crank sensor, I’ve been sent the wrong one twice from euro parts 🙄

So I left the battery of over night to see if did anything, the fuel pump is now working but still no life. Replaced spark plugs as well now. I’ve been able to borrow a decent diagnostic kit and I am getting the following codes
P 1000
P0202
P 1504
The iac on inspection was clean as a whistle, the P0202 point to no electrical current going to injector, but it is working.
So now my only guess is when the gear box oil has spurred out it has damaged the electrics. Last weekend of me guessing before I give in and send her to garage.
Any thoughts much appreciated

Hi Alex
Can't be certain but there are 2 electrical connectors running in that area , 1 goes to the speedo sensor on the gearbox the other if unplugged will cause the engine not to run. As you lost all the oil perhaps that connector has oil in the contacts, that now needs cleaning out with initially carb cleaner then use electrical contact cleaner.
Give that a try.
By the way ,
1) how do you know the injectors are currently running?

2) Does the fuel rail have pressure in it(instructions stated in my earlier post)?

DOH said:
Hi Alex
Can't be certain but there are 2 electrical connectors running in that area , 1 goes to the speedo sensor on the gearbox the other if unplugged will cause the engine not to run. As you lost all the oil perhaps that connector has oil in the contacts, that now needs cleaning out with initially carb cleaner then use electrical contact cleaner.
Give that a try.
By the way ,
1) how do you know the injectors are currently running?

2) Does the fuel rail have pressure in it(instructions stated in my earlier post)?

Yes mate plenty of pressure on that valve just tried again. And I tried starting her with injector pipes taken off plenty of fuel is coming out. Also those connectors you mentioned I’ve managed to look at the one it’s clean, but the other one which splits into two I can’t get off. I’m waiting on a bit of dry weather to go try again.

Alex11jg said:
I’ve managed to look at the one it’s clean, but the other one which splits into two I can’t get off

The larger of the 2 connectors that I referred to ?
It may be esier by removing the rubber air intake hose that goes to the maf. There is iirc a clip black plastic that has to be pressed to separate integral with the connector (it's been a while since I pulled it apart), but in any event spray some wd40 or gt85(has ptfe in it) on it to help separate

DOH said:
Alex11jg said:
I’ve managed to look at the one it’s clean, but the other one which splits into two I can’t get off

The larger of the 2 connectors that I referred to ?
It may be esier by removing the rubber air intake hose that goes to the maf. There is iirc a clip black plastic that has to be pressed to separate integral with the connector (it's been a while since I pulled it apart), but in any event spray some wd40 or gt85(has ptfe in it) on it to help separate
Just taken a look, was only the wire casing that got the oil on inside connectors look clean. Fired some electric spray on there and still not starting. Gonna try a bump start with a friend

Remove the spark plugs to inspect in case they are oiled up or fouled . If they are then clean with carb cleaner.

DOH said:
Remove the spark plugs to inspect in case they are oiled up or fouled . If they are then clean with carb cleaner.
The 1st two plugs on the right did have oil on, I’ve replaced all 4 and didn’t make a difference.

Latest posts

Back