Super Unleaded - Why?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinster

It costs more, so is does the extra fuel economy mean it's worth it?

Any extra 'oomph' to speak of?

Some people report better MPG and slightly better response.

But to be honest you would ideally want to get your ECU changed to burn the octane level of the Super Unleaded correctly.

Dal has done this and i'm sure he will be along shortly :)

Before I had my ECU remapped, I did get better mpg with super unleaded. I tended to use the BP ultimate stuff and got more MPG equivilant to the extra cost (about 10% more mpg for 10% extra cost) so there was no 'real' point to it really. If you drove like 'miss daisy' you could get more than 10% MPG improvement - say 15%, but that's not how I like to drive.

Mine's now mapped for 99 RON (Tesco super unleaded or Shell V Power - BP Ultimate is 98 IIRC) and there is a marked difference although some of that is the FRP mapping as well as the different RON mapping obviously.
A much better pick up from stationary and noticably more torque for overtaking on motorways. I still get about the same MPG now as pre-Remapping (about 38-42)

Very interesting, thanks.

The previous owner of my milly reckoned it was remapped and running super I 'imagine' it feels quicker. I'll see what mpg I get out of this tank compared to my last tank of normal unleaded.

It may take a couple of tanks to get it to an advantage. It's not a 'learning' ECU, but i remember it took a couple of tanks to get the most MPG pre-remapping.

Let us know how you get on.

PS: Do you have any engine mods? I.E. a free flowing exhaust rather than standard? That will help to take advantage of any remapping you 'may' have.

I have one of the FRP Miltek stainless steel exhausts which I purchased not that long ago.

I filled up with Super the other day having been suspecting that my ECU had been set for it, and it definitely feels different. Much happier burbling along with only a tiny bit of throttle, and a definite advantage if you boot it around 2500rpm.

In theory, as you have may have more bhp now with super unleaded, you shouldn't have to drive the engine as hard to get the same level of performance. So, in theory, you should use less petrol and hence get better mpg. If you can use a light right foot that is! lol

Good in theory - harder not to press the loud pedal more though, as you know it's just that little bit more fun :D

I've been using my miles until the red light comes on to compare.

How accurately do you think the red light comes on each tank?

This is the easiest way to work out your MPG:

Fill your tank and zero your trip clock.
Drive
Next time you fill up the tank, make a note of the mileage and litres.

Litres to get gallons

Mileage to get MPG
gallons

eg. My last trip was 247.7 miles and 28.83 litres

28.83 = 6.3418 gallons

247.7 = 39.06 mpg

I've got mine in a spreadsheet, so it's easy to keep track of when I've been driving that little bit harder.

I have a spreadsheet set up with a whole variety of formulae and when you add new data it updates a graph on the page so you have physical represtentation of the MPG over time.

Mine's got a huge dip in the middle from when I was only driving about 5 miles a day. :shock:

I have mine at home if Cherie hasn't offered hers up before me, no problem!

I've got mine on a flash drive with me, so no problem. :eek:k:

Latest posts

Back