Puma 1.7 Engine Noise., Help me find out what this is PLEASE

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimster1

I have a Puma and when I accelerate, it makes a loud noise which I can only describe as the sound you get when a boy racer pulls away in a nova or corsa with an enlarged exhaust! Or similar to revinng a carb engine with the air filter off?

It is only really loud above 3000rpm.

The car has NOT been modified at all. It drives lovely and purrs like a cat! But that noise, just too loud.

Can anyone help?

Are you sure that the exhaust has not got a hole in it? Or not sealed properly somewhere both could cause it to blow which would more than likely be louder with higher rpm.

Hello Jimster1, and welcome to the forum :eek:k:

Where is the sound coming from? Is it coming from the front of the car or the rear? If it's only happening above 3000rpm, it could be resonance from an exhaust silencer blowing. (Either the middle or rear box if you've a standard box - or the CAT possibly further towards the engine)

Worth taking advantage of 'free exhaust checks' at national exhaust centres. ;)

Let us know....

Not sure where the noise is coming from exactly but the exhaust at the rear is quite big. I call em boy racer exhausts.

Gonna get the it looked at tomorrow.

Just got under the bonnet and the noise is a kind of blowing sound form the front of the engine.

Any ideas?

From the front? :pinkeye:

Unless it's the inlet manifold, it could be an air leak of some kind?

If it was the rear of the engine, I'd suggest the outlet manifold has a crack..

I thought the car was not modified?
The standard is not that big..

.. does it have a standard air filter?

The noise is coming from the fat pipe from the air cleaner box to the engine. Very loud. Can it be anything to do with timing?

There is an air filter in the air filter box isn't there?

Back