Check your numberplates

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

They are starting a crack-down on non-standard plates

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ryId=17525

Mine has no spacing at all so is technically not legal. But it's the approved (Pre 2001) typeface and perfectly legible.

I'll chance it for the time being.

thanks for that mate.

After reading that i think my back one is illigal as the font is 2 toned makig it look 3D.

best get it changed as i dont want a £1000 fine :pinkeye:

Still wont stop dumb ass traffic wardens writing the number down wrong, and you getting a notice through that you are required to pay 130 quid for parking in a town 150 miles away from where you were on the day...

Good news is though that parking attendants now take photos of the car in question.

Shame then that no one at either the court or the agency bothered to look at the photo to see that the car in question was not a 1.4 Corsa, and had a different number...

eeejits.

just a bit.

spent an hour on the phone this morning going back and forth between Enterprise and Excel Parking.

Enterprise were very good, they paid the £100 fine, sat on it for a 7 weeks, then sent me notice that they had taken 130 quid from credit card to cover. Then at the bottom of the letter explained very helpfully that Excel Parking allow 7 days appeal after which no further appeal will be entertained.

Was only when they brought up the photo, saw that whilst the car was a Vauxhall, it was not a Corsa, and the plate was different...

Now waiting for the money to be put back on my card...

Reading that original Pistonheads article, it implies that illegal ones will fail MOTs. So what happens if you've recently got an MOT with an illegal number plate? Does that make the MOT / testing station invalid?

Yes if the plate was on the car at the time the test was done.

Number plate MOT regulations...

http://www.bobmckay.co.uk/numbplates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DVLA regulations

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:tR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... cd=1&gl=uk

Page 2 of Tiggrs link is good..

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and
reflectivity. The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the
following information:-
1. The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier
3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet

That's me buggered then....

Depends on when the plate was fitted. I had this discussion a couple of times with the plate on Tiggr, as for a time, it was a stick on one, made from at the time, legally available DIY plate kits.

Seems no one, either DVLA, Dept of Transport, or local traffic police could give a definate answer, as the car was registered pre 2001...

Still a bit of a head scratcher.

Eh.. no thanks I don't want names postcodes and other junk on my number plates thank you very much!

Mine were done professionally and dont have all that guff.

I think it's when the plate is supplied now for post 1973 cars, not when the car was registered:

Normal requirements
All vehicles manufactured after 1.1.1973 must display number plates of
reflex-reflecting material, white at the front and yellow at the rear, the
characters must be black. In addition, the characters on number plates
purchased from 1.9.2001 will need to conform to the following specifications.

Well that's how I read it anyway..lol

Aye, problem is that the kits were sold with what was Scotch Reflective background, so in that respect it complied with the regs.

All very confusing

They should start cracking down at the DVLA themselves, where they are still selling number plates via the 'Select' scheme at a premium that MUST be mispaced to make sense. They should re-imburse everyone who has forked out on a number plate that now does not make sense once the regs have been followed.

Bunch of money grabbing f***ing hypocrites... :x

Why does a number plate have to wear BS (bullshit) markings and have the suppliers postcode etc... It's a number plate FFS...

I wonder if my new ones have turned up at work? Should be good to replace my cracked one!

Latest posts

Back