New puma track day project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair1988

I've recently bought a Ford puma 1.7 that I will convert to a track car.... I'm looking to upgrade the brakes what's the best option for doing this

Best option that requires minimal effort is a 300mm kit, uses a mk3 mondeo caliper and focus st170 disc. All you need to do to allow it to fit is drill the holes out on the hub to 13mm to allow for the larger mounting bolt.

On a standard (ish) Puma they make the world of difference. I've had the setup on mine for a long time and done many track days and never really felt I needed more.

You can also do a rear disc conversion as well using mk6 Fiesta ST parts, again its all direct fit, you just need to change the handbrake cables.

Hello and welcome.

Fitting bigger brakes from other Fords is a popular modification on the Puma.

Mk3 Mondeo 300mm/ST170 mix jay describes is what most go for.
Though pad choice (track stuff) and wheel clearance can be issues.

280mm ST150 or Mondeo Mk2 V6 brakes (I have this) fit under standard rims and have a greater pad choice.
Though, bit harder to find & cost more.

Both conversions are bigger (obviously)though on a stripped out car, a little unnecessary (better heat dissipation, but that`s about it)
BUT....
There is the bigger drawback of adding significant unsprung weight.
Which can actually detract from the handling to the point where bigger brakes are even less necessary...

Another option is to stick with the Pumas original 260mm brakes (assuming its a later model)
And use the best discs and pad material your pocket can stretch to.
These will stop the car on a button all day long
and keep the suspension as Ford designed it.

Braided brake lines also help out a lot with the stoppers. and good brake fluid..

There`s loads and loads of other `go faster` modifications.
There are a few track car build threads on Projectpuma. Check a few out for inspiration...
It`s all down to time and money.

I`d start with a serious full car service.
Worn bushes replaced with polyurethane, suspension upgrades and a tubular exhaust manifold are good starting points.
And good tyres....

As above.... The place I would start to be honest is a full service then take a good look at the suspension, chances are the bushes will be pretty worn. If your on a budget these will be a good starting point (a little cheaper that powerflex) https://floflex.co.uk/?year_id=371&make=415&model=423&s=&post_type=product&action=vpf-ymm-search

Throw an OMP lower strut brace in there as well and you'll be heading in the right direction.

People on here and the FB owners groups often seem to complain that Floflex perish within a year or two due to the cheap materials so I didn't go that route, but I did replace both front lower arms with genuine Ford ones (include new bushes already pressed in) as 2 bushes had completely perished - one had nearly popped out!
If you watch out, Euros often have sales - I picked up my rear powerflex bushes for a steal.
Changing the front lower arms, drop links and rear bushes made a huge difference.
I also swapped out the ARB mounts but no notable change on that at all, but after an alignment again - huge difference.

Plugs changed, air filter, oil and oil filter too; needs a fuel filter.
Also changed cambelt, tensioner, aux belt, water pump, etc just to try and prolong the engine as it's approaching 100k.

Last Friday I also swapped the discs and pads over for Fiesta ST calipers with Pagid items - they bolt straight on without need for modification, although you'll need a 3mm spacer for fanblade wheels. Also changed to Black Diamond hoses and Motul RBF600 fluid, so bedding those in - initial indications are improved pedal feel and stops with a little more assurance but I agree that - it's probably overkill - we did a day at Combe and the standard brakes took everything we threw at them (it was chucking it down with rain most of the day though...).

Just need to sort out suspension and fuel filter now....looking at AP / FK coilovers.

I've got a puma ready to go if you know of anyone who fancys a cheap track car.
Had a few mods done. See the for sale section.

Latest posts

Back