Weight?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinamotor

I know some of you guys have stripped out certain parts of the interior, do we have any raw weight saving figures or even the weight of individual items removed?
Also its been interesting reading the posts on the project threads from those who have been surprised by the lack of compromise removing weight from the rear, this has always been one of my concerns.

6kg? is that just some of the rear? im sure all of mine including all rear bits, and side panels as well as front was nearer 15kgs

I've taken almost 12kg of sound insulation out of mine so far and there is still a little bit left. Its surprising how much the "soft" stuff behind the dash weighs.

Question for you steve m8 as your car is on an x so 2000 / 2001 - did you remove all the firewall stuff which runs from behind the front dash all the way to the floor . Did you cut this all away but leave the rest behind the dashboard, as I am guessing unless you remove the dashboard you can't get the all of the firewall stuff out ? Cheers in advance m8

yeah just cut most of what i could get to out, tony accidentally set fire to the stuff on the drivers side so that took care of that :lol: the passengar stuff is still up behind the dash though

Cheers m8 , I tried the resistors I got off ebay on the pretensioners - no joy so not sure how bigal got his ones to work I am going to remove the bulb as well can't be arsed with the resistors anymore :lol:

yep tried all sorts of resistors on mine from 1.8ohms to 2.7, nothing worked so will just be a case of removing the bulbs, obviously they only work for airbags

Took out the speedo and the "pre-tension / airbag bulb" is a desolder job, decided not to tackle that job until later........

I know weight reduction is important, not sure 12 kg is going to make that much difference to a track day car, but still...one thing i would say is that you should lower the seat so that it is attached directly to the floor. this will lower the CG of the car massively...if you are a 100kg man with a 20kg head, if you lower it by 8 inches and move the seat back as far as it will go, you may have to extend the steering arm...and the gear stick and pedals, all doable without too much work... you will reduce the roll center massively, improve the weight distribution and have a much more stable car.... add to that a wider track of around 2-3 inches and you will have achieved a significant amount of lowering without touching the suspension itself...or you could recline your position more if moving the seat back is too big a task but do lower it to the chassis floor..you dont need runners and sliders. Even moving the seat 6 inches to the left will help weight distribution a great deal...

12kg is just the sound deadning ! With everything else gone you are looking at 50kg+ or a small person. If you dropped the seat 8 inches you would be sat on the tarmac

there are other reasons to strip aside from weight also, makes it easier to have a proper harness and cage setup as well as running things like brake lines inside the car

Steve do you think it is worth cutting out the firewall stuff at the front? With the dash out I noticed it goes all the way up so about 1/3 shows . I am thinking at some point the dash needs to come out to remove all the firewall.

Is it a proper firewall or needed for MOT purposes?

paulob1 said:
I know weight reduction is important, not sure 12 kg is going to make that much difference to a track day car, but still...one thing i would say is that you should lower the seat so that it is attached directly to the floor. this will lower the CG of the car massively...if you are a 100kg man with a 20kg head, if you lower it by 8 inches and move the seat back as far as it will go, you may have to extend the steering arm...and the gear stick and pedals, all doable without too much work... you will reduce the roll center massively, improve the weight distribution and have a much more stable car.... add to that a wider track of around 2-3 inches and you will have achieved a significant amount of lowering without touching the suspension itself...or you could recline your position more if moving the seat back is too big a task but do lower it to the chassis floor..you dont need runners and sliders. Even moving the seat 6 inches to the left will help weight distribution a great deal...

I run subframes but I guess the racing bases would mean sitting slightly lower but you need to weld some bars in as the puma floor isn't flat. Saying that the seats are around 7kg each compared to the original seats I think they are about half the weight .

It's just sound deadning not firewall pretty crap firewall as mine caught fire :lol: worth removing if u cba to remove the dash

some weights i had written down in kg:

1 Front seats 48
2 Rear seats 10
3 Carpet 3
4 Headlining & spare wheel hanger 5.5
5 Parcel shelf & mats 4
6 Boot lining 2.5
7 Interior trim (various) 13.4
8 Front door cards 7
9 Dash metal bracing 4.7
10 Soft sound deadening (under carpets) 3.7
11 Rear quarter trims 4
12 Speaker boxes 2.5
13 Soft sound deadening (under carpets) 3.5
14 Soft sound deadening (under carpets) 3.5
15 Front window motors 2.5
16 Front window glass 6.8
17 Rear wash wipe and boot stays 2
18 Fuel cap and filler 1.1
19 ABS pump 3.5
20 Inlet plenum and TB 4.5
21 Airbox 2
22 Purge can 1
23 Boot locks 1.1
24 Rear seat and boot brackets 1.5
25 Airbag module and harness 1.7
26 Central roof brace 1.7
27 Self adhesive sound deadening (3 bags total) 10.5
28 Brackets cut off underside 1.4
29 Door wiring and central locking 2
30 Door inner panels and crash tubing 12.4
31 Rear door glass 6.2
32 Rear door inner panel 0.7

If it isn't anything to with the firewall it is coming out , got my paint stripper gun so that is something I want to tackle yesterday , spent ages today cutting carbon fibre jesus that stuff is tuff.

Latest posts

Back