Rally Car - Handbrake Regulations

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS200

dtq said:
Does your vertical hand brake lever do the mechanical hand brake as well? I thought MOT rules said you had to have a mechanical handbrake system still even if you had a hydraulic system? I also thought there were some lesser known \ enforced rules about bias adjusters not being reachable when driving?

For motorsport the handbrake must have a working mechanical ( not hyd) connection between lever and rear wheels.

Unless you are very serious (and have a big bank account) I would use a bolt in cage ! First it is much more simple to fit. Second if you bin the car it is possible the shell wont be trashed,even a minor bump with a weld in can trash a shell because the impact goes all over the place !

Make sure you build to the Blue Book ! You could find a list of local scrutineers who would be only to happy to advise if you ask.

Do some 'Rally Schools' etc before you play out and learn the basics,costs far less than a bent car !

What sort of event are you building for ? Night Rally/Tarmac/Gravel/Auto test ??

A good choice to start could be Night Rally and Auto test if they do it in your area, you will learn the basics in a safe ish way !

And join a motor club , lots of like minded looneys to help you !!

Most of all have fun !

Andrew Hebron said:
dtq said:
Does your vertical hand brake lever do the mechanical hand brake as well? I thought MOT rules said you had to have a mechanical handbrake system still even if you had a hydraulic system?

I think the MOT says you need a secondary (independent) system - i.e. it doesn't specify mechanical or not. The MkII I co-drove in had a separate hydraulic system connected to separate rear calipers but no cables. My Puma has no other handbrake, so the secondary braking system is opening the door and putting your foot down and relies on rally-friendly MOT testers. The reshell will retain the mechanical h/brake for MOTs and parking.

dtq said:
I also thought there were some lesser known \ enforced rules about bias adjusters not being reachable when driving?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Release MSA10-008: 29 January 2010

Hydraulic Handbrakes

Following our advice published in the March newsletter, reprinted below, it has come to light that certain WRC and other
homologated vehicles were not supplied with a mechanical hand brake linkage when new. This does not exempt such
vehicles from the requirements of the Construction and Use Regulations and thus to meet the requirements of the Road
Traffic act a mechanical linkage must be fitted.

Construction and use regulations require a Parking Brake or “Hand Brake” to be capable of being maintained in
operation by direct mechanical action only.

Therefore Stage Rally and Road Rally Cars fitting with a hydraulic
handbrake must also have a working, and independent, mechanical linkage to comply with construction and use. We
recently heard from a scrutineer presented with a hydraulic handbrake, cables were also present however, on
investigation they were found not to be connected to anything. The competitor arguing that he complied as a
mechanical linkage was present! It is not good enough to have cables not attached to anything! To comply with
construction and use the mechanical linkage must be operational and work independently of the hydraulic system.

Motor Sports Association, Motor Sports House, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, SL3 0HG

MSA SCRUTINEERS E-BULLETIN #54

Think that puts that question to bed !

:shock:

RS200 said:
Construction and use regulations require a Parking Brake or “Hand Brake” to be capable of being maintained in
operation by direct mechanical action only.

Therefore Stage Rally and Road Rally Cars fitting with a hydraulic handbrake must also have a working, and independent, mechanical linkage to comply with construction and use.

Think that puts that question to bed !

:shock:

Not really as I still don't think the MOT says anything about mechanical. If so, how do cars with Electronic Parking Brakes get through MOTs?

Well I would say the right handbrake is important to you , no point putting all your effort into a build if it fails scrutineering is there ?

By the by Construction and use regs overule an MOT .
You can fail an MOT but you can only be done for not having a valid one,you can very much be done for failing to comply with construction and use regs , lights/tinted windows/sharp projections/seat belts all done under c&u regs,as are sva/eva tests on cars.

The section headed "Hydraulic Parking Brakes" in this link should give an idea:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_310.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Warren says, The electric handbrakes that have recently become popular are only electrically operated, the actual system is still mechanical.

Latest posts

Back