battery relocation

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatdonger

I have relocated batteries in cars before but never in a Puma , I see from the project threads that some of you guys have done this so would like some advice.

1. Best location for a stripped out car . I have seen some guys put the battery in the back and some behind the front passenger seat.

2.Max current rating for the puma would 16m 135amp wire be ok

3.Termination number of cables ? I have seen single positive wire run and the earth taken from the chassis + I have seen the positive and negative wire run to the new battery location

4.Battery box would this be recommended because it is sealed i.e protection against spillage using a lead acid battery v gel type battery

Sorry for the number of questions :wink:

dont put the battery in the boot, or especially anywhere past the rear wheels, this is the worst thing you can do, worse then keeping in the bay, creates a lot of momentum, rules of intertia.

Best place is just behind the passengar seat, central and offsets your weight slightly

ok thanks for that Steve , one more question which comes to mind if I locate it behind the passenger seat , what are the requirements for the MOT because I am guessing some gasses vent from the battery .

Some say you need a sealed box to meet MOT requirements but what happens if you run a gel battery?

fit the thickest cable you can get. The resistance of a several meter long cable trying to carry a large current on cranking can be significant enough to cause starting issues and other electrical problems.

You dont need to run an earth cable, just make sure you fit a very good earth at the battery.

Remember these cars are getting old now, so if your buying cable to relocate battery, buy a bit extra and re run all the alternator, starter cables as well as new engine earths, starter earth etc.

I have put mine in the boot right behind the rear seats, it makes the car a bit more rear happy, I rather like that, mind you mine also has the two nitrous bottles in the boot too, which weigh a ton too much,...am thinking of cutting the boot out and lowering it, or removing the rear seats all together and moving it all into the middle...no matter where you put things it has an implication...not sure where I want to go with the nitrous car just yet...

but I think relocating the battery does make engine access tons easier and gives you tons of room for the turbo pipes and other items..sounds good too...

bhind the passengar seat, worst place to put is where you have, worse having it there then under the bonnet!

doesnt help with the nitrous bottles being there either but there it is and there it is staying...for now...

If you havent already seen loads of pics and info about battery relocation in my project

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7681&start=525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes seen all that, good job indeed, not an option for this car right now as i have the rear seats in it and they are staying there for now...

the turbo FRP puma will get the same work too...

but the track puma, well it has all options open for now...including side skirts, diffuser, wider track and full on turbo. hoping for 300 bhp or more, but thats a job yet to be started, the other cars are just day time fun cars...

warrenpenalver said:
fit the thickest cable you can get. The resistance of a several meter long cable trying to carry a large current on cranking can be significant enough to cause starting issues and other electrical problems.

You dont need to run an earth cable, just make sure you fit a very good earth at the battery.

Remember these cars are getting old now, so if your buying cable to relocate battery, buy a bit extra and re run all the alternator, starter cables as well as new engine earths, starter earth etc.

Just to add fuel to the fire............ "you do need to run the earth forward" as well...

I have/did relocated my battery into the boot of my Classic Saab 900 Turbo years ago and never ever had a problem with starting/charging...and the Saab was a bigger/older car
if you only earth the battery in the boot you will have problems with bad/slow starting and charging..

and this was the information from mechanics with donkey years of experiance working on all sort of cars

but at the end of the day its up to you either do it right or bodge it :wink: :wink:

cheers boys'n'girls

You won't get any problems if you earth near the battery as long as its a good earth. An earth is an earth. Iv never experienced anyone's relocated battery have starting or charging problems. You been given bad advice

its up to you, but I know both mechanics very well, one works on everything from classic mini's to new porsche's and everything inbetween with 30 years in the trade and what he does not know is not work knowing..
the other guy runs his own tuning garage working on scooby's and cosworth's he also owns his own dyno (rollingroad)
his own play thing is a cosworth running 450bhp...

I will not say anything more I know who's correct :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

cheers boys'n'girls

Lol noone is correct, as, iv never in all the time i have been around tracks and people with track cars and relocated batterys have had problems starting or charging! therefore it is all just opinion. I could also point you in the direction of massive tuning companies that also relocate with short earths. In fact dms who actually make the racing batteries advise in there own literature to run as short an earth as possible locally to the battery. Even the reyland cossie had a local earth on its battery.

To add to this the amount of mechanics with years of experience that are brilliant with the mechanical aspect of cars, but are usually rubbish when it comes to car electrics is quite astonishing, hence why we have auto electricians who focus on just that. I wouldnt take what you hear as gospel all the time, I find personal real world experiences much better and safer to form judgements on ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hi mate,
I totally agree never believe what you read on internet forums, unless its tried and tested by ones own hands on real world testing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers boys'n'girls

mac tools said:
Hi mate,
I totally agree never believe what you read on internet forums, unless its tried and tested by ones own hands on real world testing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers boys'n'girls

Ok I won't believe what you wrote before then :lol: :lol:

why believe me anyway :roll: :roll:

as I'm a nun who lives in Blackpool and I 'm bored...feed up of praying and now surf the internet for fun...................

Holy Cheers boys'n'girls

now now boys.. put the hand bags away, ive got a similar setup to scubasteve and havent had any issues with my puma, but im sure the other way works fine aswell :grin:

Latest posts

Back