Rally car reshell

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Hebron

Just starting to reshell this:

5445819786_cb7d3ed53b_b.jpg

Into this:

384999_2771298774871_1656185956_n.jpg

I'll stick some pics up as we progress. That's the royal we as Dan at MMS Technik will be doing the hard bits. I'll stick to the bolt off / bolt on bits.

If anyone wants any of the interior bits'n'pieces, then PM me. It's located near J1/M3.

ScubaSteve said:
Was the window just a flat sheet you cut to shape?
No - thermoformed set from HERE, including thermoformed side windows - as I wanted the door windows on the winders rather than with sliders - flat sheet + door windows on winders = does not work.

They did their job, as this embedded piece of metal from the wingmirror shows:

5445218995_4907830c8b.jpg

It had been slammed between the tree and rollcage and dented the latter through the blue padding, but was still held by the Lexan.

fancy seeing you on here hebbs! turns out crank-bearing shell for cylinder 2 had shredded itself to pieces in my puma engine, i'm told it was due to over-revving, not my fault i was getting excited going past a new mini race car and i stuck it into third @ 120mph :s still good times :)

petertaroni said:
fancy seeing you on here hebbs! turns out crank-bearing shell for cylinder 2 had shredded itself to pieces in my puma engine, i'm told it was due to over-revving, not my fault i was getting excited going past a new mini race car and i stuck it into third @ 120mph :s still good times :)

into third at 120 mph, wow, that did hurt then, I would guess that would be about 12000 or even 13000 rpm.. perfect for a blown engine...you need a nice hayabusa engine, 13k revs no problem at all.....

paulob1 said:
petertaroni said:

into third at 120 mph, wow, that did hurt then, I would guess that would be about 12000 or even 13000 rpm.. perfect for a blown engine...you need a nice hayabusa engine, 13k revs no problem at all.....

Don't encourage him....

my son is intent on doing this, i would love to fit one to a puma frp...250 bhp sequential gearbox, would fly...

This currently has a 1600 in it that gives 200 BHP which is plenty on gravel. In fact the plan is to smooth out the power delivery even if that puts it down to ~180 BHP in order to gain traction & drive-ability. Not sure what 250 BHP in FWD would be like - weren't the S1600s 215~220?

no they go to 260 bhp, and with the special suspension and limited slip diffs and sequential boxes were very sweet set ups if a bit racing car engine set up,...better top fit a duratec engine and go for bigger easier more reliable power via a turbo, well thats my idea at the moment but i guess for class 160 bhp from 1600 isnt at all bad..

A day spent stripping out the shell today:

392671_2478372371894_1404894170_n.jpg

373851_2478342651151_1767371763_n.jpg

Engine's gone:

374234_2478403492672_35088909_n.jpg

I have a decent interior and bits'n'bobs available.

Next up is shot blast / seam-welding / cage welding. Not my me, obv.

I know the bloke that built that car originally before he sold it to the guy that destroyed it. :-(

The engine is a 1.6 on motor bike throttle bodies and gave 200 BHP, I know what you mean about smoothing out the the power/torque curve it always seemed a bit peaky when he had it. But with the proflex suspension it was stuck to the road.

Good luck with the rebuild is the cage salvagable or is it damaged beyond repair?

BLOGGY said:
I know the bloke that built that car originally before he sold it to the guy that destroyed it. :-(

The engine is a 1.6 on motor bike throttle bodies and gave 200 BHP, I know what you mean about smoothing out the the power/torque curve it always seemed a bit peaky when he had it. But with the proflex suspension it was stuck to the road.

Good luck with the rebuild is the cage salvagable or is it damaged beyond repair?

I guess you mean Mick? Unfortunately the main hoop has moved and it's beyond repair. Smoothing out the power is really necessary as I'm going to use it on gravel.

Andrew Hebron said:
BLOGGY said:

I guess you mean Mick? Unfortunately the main hoop has moved and it's beyond repair. Smoothing out the power is really necessary as I'm going to use it on gravel.

Yep a certainly do. It's a shame about the cage being beyond repair as it was a decent set up. Mind you as suppose that's what allowed the driver to walk away :)

My engine has been smoothed out to deliver more mid-range, still gives 180 BHP but pulls from lower down which helps out of the slower corners.

Ah Andrew, you bought the wide arched from eBay...... This will be a nice swap over. I'll give you a wee text and pop over if I can manage to. Dan will certainly have his hands full.

Flying Scotsman said:
Ah Andrew, you bought the wide arched from eBay...... This will be a nice swap over. I'll give you a wee text and pop over if I can manage to. Dan will certainly have his hands full.

Turned out it was being sold by the guy who prep's my team-mate's rally car, so all vouched for etc. :grin:

I'll PM you

Just back from the shotblasting:

329899_2625120680510_1437821108_o.jpg

You can see some nice clean seams ready for welding in amongst the shotblasting grit.

339928_2625104960117_523315519_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back