Puma rally car

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollybigdog

Hi im new hear

I am just about to purchase a 1.6 puma for conversion to a rally car. It is not going to be road legal as i will be taking it on a trailer.
I have a few thoughts as follows:

: Going for the 1.6 as opossed to the 1.4 so that i can compete in the under 1600 cc rally group.

: My budget is approx £5000 for the fitout and i was wondering really what i should spend the money on??

: My first throughts were approved roll cage, coil over suspention, bucket seats and harness, rally rims and tyres, manifold to backbox change, uprated brakes.

This seems to be the basic needs for getting started.
I would really appricate any ideas and coments regarding part names and budget.

Thanks again

Olly

Olly,

First off, what rallying are you looking at doing?

Secondly, all rally cars must have a MOT so car has to be road legal. Also, to comply to MSA Rally regs, it has have a MSA/FIA Approved cage, FIA Approved seats and harnesses, Window film, fire extinguisher, and fuel tank guard, so I would start there, get out and do a few events and see how you do and then start upgrading anything engine wise.

Also, I would look at uprating the suspension to either Avo's or Bilsteins, and just go for cheap esaily replaceable steel wheels until you are more experienced.

Joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for the quick reply.

Im really wanting to do stage rallying. I didnt realise it had to be road legal and have a MOT. Does this mean it has to have insurance and tax? or just a MOT? I dont understand the window film? how much do they cost? i was going to change the back and side windows to perspex. Do u think it is a good idea to change the brakes strait away as well? wot type of brakes would u recommend?

Thanks for your help

Olly

i have copies of the s1400 (mild rally spec) and s1600 (uber rally spec) puma manuals....

they cover loads of info about prepping the bodyshell as well as everything else!

£25 posted for s1400
£40 posted for the s1600

Olly,

It has to be MOT'sd but if only doing doing Single Venue (multi use) it doesnt need tax or insurance.

If you are doing perspex windows, film isnt needed, its only with glass that it is needed.

I havent done the brakes on mine yet, but the Mondeo mk2 V6 brakes seem popular or even Fiesta ST brakes. Personally I would go fo ST brakes as they are used in rallying so competition pads and disks available.

Joe

Joe

Ok great thanks for that, makes it cheaper i suppose. Where can you pick up the st brakes from? If i did said Modifications what group would that make me in? if it was the 1.6L? iv been looking at the cages and they all are over £600 is this about right or can u find it cheaper? this is un fitted? what rally group do you entre in?

Thanks

Olly

Olly,

It depends on what rallies you enter, but most rallies just class you by engine size (doesnt matter what mods you have), so you would mainly be in the 1400-1600 class. But some of the bigger national rallies split that into whether the car is built to International rules or the MSA rules.

As for brakes, you can buy them from eBay or go to places like brembo etc. google will help you.

I am currently (and slowly) building mine for night rallies (road rallies) and i currently navigate in rallies from international rallies in belgium to smaller club rallies on airfeilds.

Join your local car club! You will have to be a member of one to compete anyway, you will get more advice than you will ever need (not so say there isnt some knowledgable people on here!). You are also likely to find your local scrutineer there too, speak to him (or her) as they will be up to speed on rules/regs. You will also be able to start marshalling to get a better perspective on how events are run, you will also be introduced to the world of 12 cars/road rallies/navigational events- yes you may have your heart set on full blown stage events but this is the way to start. Speaking from what ive done its not a bad idea to have a go at navigating with an experienced driver on a stage event before driving yourself.

Interesting choice on the 1600 front- remember on NatB events you will be in with any works super 1600's that might be kicking about, they are becoming more common on local events. As for brakes the works 1400 pumas used v6 mondeo calipers so if they are good enough for them then they will do just fine for you geting started. If you want to go bigger/better go alcon.

Phil

ive got the exact same project on the go aswell. good rally exhaust for you would be ashley. whole system from manifold to backbox is 360 so quite cheap and sound good. are you selling your standard exhaust? if you are how much do you want for it? need it for road car

u need to look at what class u going to be running in and see what the rule book says on what u can do to the car

we started off rallying our 1400 gravel spec car on 4 pot brembos but couldnt keep them hot enough.we are now using st brakes and are having no problems.i could have saved myself a fortune buying the st brakes first.by the way we have focus rear discs and a balanced pedal box.Ian
danmj said:
ive got the exact same project on the go aswell. good rally exhaust for you would be ashley. whole system from manifold to backbox is 360 so quite cheap and sound good. are you selling your standard exhaust? if you are how much do you want for it? need it for road car

Back