15's or 17's on the track car?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumaJay

Trying to whether to stick with my 17's or switch to 15's

main reason being less upsprung weight, cheaper tyres, and i can adjust the suspension up abit.

i do like my 17's though, they look great grip well and ive never had any trouble on track with them, but the tyres aint cheap, and obviously they weigh more.

i just dont want the wheels to look lost in the arches if i drop to 15's, but id imagine it will handle better with smaller wheels?

what do people think?

For 15's

Handles better
Accelerates quicker
Weighs less
Costs less for tyres
More scope to set up suspension

For 17's

Look better.

Is is a track car or a 'track look' show car???
:grin: :grin: :grin:

I went with 15s for all of those reasons. Bigger ones look better but that is all they have going for them. Unless you're running massive brakes - which themselves are loads of money - there's no point spending more on wheels and tyres which perform worse.

Only thing is you might not get away with standard wheels, only reason I run MOs is that Props don't fit over my calipers. Didn't really want wheels but I'd already bought the brakes.

I have Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 in 15 inch. I had 17s before and so glad I went back to 15s as it has really improved the handling, mines only lowered 30mm but it looks great, better than the 17s IMHO.

i'd like to ask, how do 15's improve handling over 17's? i was under the impression that a lower profile tyre gives better handling?

alexwilliams840 said:
i'd like to ask, how do 15's improve handling over 17's? i was under the impression that a lower profile tyre gives better handling?

Predominantly because they're lighter.

Lower profile is typically better although there are other factors, side-wall stiffness being the major one. Plus its a bit of a compromise anyway because you still need some degree of deformation in the tyre to take up the road conditions.

But mostly because the lower weight of the 15" wheel and tyre enables the suspension to work better.

Only reason to go large really is to enable larger brakes, hence why top dollar motorsport do it but on a budget you need to compromise somewhere.

Also acceleration is better on smaller wheels then you have the fact it raises the cars center of gravity and if you lower to compensate you put wishbone angles and all sorts out of spec.

On something as small and light as the puma, if you can fit decent brakes under 15s then fit 15s. The green one for instance on 17s felt quite a bit slower than my little shed on 14s! All the Rent4Ring Suzuki Swifts are on 15s.

i have 16's it was by chance i chose that size, glad i did after seeing this and the fact i can get 300mm discs under them

16's on track :D
545580_10150744780287455_512157454_9740963_1432722777_n.jpg

So team dynamics pro lite 1.2 in 15'' does fit over 300mm brakes? I've been offered a complete set with Toyo R888 tyres.

Sjon said:
So team dynamics pro lite 1.2 in 15'' does fit over 300mm brakes? I've been offered a complete set with Toyo R888 tyres.

I've got Pro Race 3's mate & they fit!... Just! :lol:

7c5adda134f3936dfde5bf9751bd98c3.jpg

Back