Road Rallying on the cheap!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uxter

Hiya

I bought a 1.4 many moons ago with the intention of doing endurance events in it....then the bottom fell out of endurance ralllying and its now mainly based far too far away, so that all went on hold, the car became my wifes daily driver, then was loaned out to the kids and partners and spent the last few months sulking on the drive with no MOT.

I used to do historic road rallies but my mate took the car with him when he moved back to Holland and I thought my competing days were over with redundancy and a career change that doesnt pay. At the end of last year the MSA banned modern cars competing on historics even in their own class (a lot of events depended on these extra numbers to keep events viable) but it seems they left enough loopholes to allow some clubs to run them as an add on.

Now I know these arent your balls out night events or even your stage events, but they are a good day out with not much competetive road mileage and a series of off road driving tests (think bigger autotests/auto solos) some events have really scary navigation, but I avoid them usually.

So anyway fast forward to this years Lake District Classic, somehow the mail from Wigton MC opened up by itself and the regs had a Targa class for modern standard cars, so decision made, my wife would be on the maps (shes never done anything like this before!) and we fitted some proflex rear beam bushes and a new MOT and entered.

What a fun day, even on winter tyres she handled beautifully (much nippier than the 1962 Volvo PV544 tank that I was used too) and if I had been more on the ball I think we would have bettered the 26th overall that we finished, we only used around £30 in juice and unlike some of the full bore perspex windowed monsters also on the event, the Pumas aircon was a godsend on the day that started the current heatwave, next event is the Durham Dales rally.

Not going to throw money at this (not that its an option) possibly some guards for underneath, some Fiesta diesel springs for added front height and lower seats and harnesses as well as distance recorders. It was a delight to drive a car with a decent steering lock and grip, powers not an issue really, was really glad to get it out at last.

uxter, Im just up the road from you in catterick and come through to darlo most sunday evenings, we should have a mini meet :)

Back