should i strip my frp / rallyesport replica?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

as above.

after 2 years of rebuilding and then buying a new house I kinda want some time off from cars...
and when I come back it will be for an aston v8 / a splitscreen camper restoration or a kit car....

so, shes up for sale on ebay and pistonheads for £4500 with an immobiliser issue (id put a new frp / 2000 spec loom and dash in...)

but shes worth over 5500 in parts. and this is just for the major parts at realistic, quick sell prices....

so should I just strip her? be a shame as shes effectively frp factory number 501 but legally registered as a cat d 98 (its complicated!)

what do you guys think?

if you want to look over the car and a list of parts IF I strip then check out my main thread 'jackos rallyesport replica' or ebay and pistonheads

I'm surprised you haven't fixed that immobiliser issue yet! Why not just put the loom back as it was?

In my opinion it'd be better to sell running as I think you may struggle for that price with running FRPs coming and going for around the same value.

Trying to be nice, not negative here as I know how things can be read out of context, I had a quick scan of your ebay add and although I know your trying to be 100% genuine and honest which I commend, it does sound like a very dodgy car the way you have described it. That will deter a lot of people off no doubt but better wording may help, I'm not saying lie or anything of the sort but explained better it may not sound like a ringer/clone etc. Also try to be more concise as a long advert will put off the partly interested people. (yes, before you say it I know I drone on a lot myself :lol: )

And to add, again not trying to sound too negative as I'm just trying to offer my opinion/advice. But saying the parts are perceived to be worth whatever to try and justify the asking price is the wrong way to think about it. I spent £3k on mine not including the purchase price yet sold it for £500 only 4 years after buying it, the nitrous kit which was hardly used that I spent close to an additional £1k on was tagged on for another £250. Then I threw in 2 car loads of old/spare parts too :lol:

Selling it complete may not realise your figure. That's what it's worth to you as you've spent a lot of money and time on it but it's very rarely what it's worth to someone else...it could be a lot more, bang on the money, or a lot less. As Matt says, with more 'genuine' FRP's going for that and even a lot less recently negotiation is the key and not sticking to what you want.

If you have the time to strip it and you are willing to negotiate with any prospective buyer for the parts (no matter how much you paid for them) then go for it if your confident it will realise a better figure than selling it complete.

If your done with messing about with cars and that one in particular for the time being as you say, just get rid is my advice. I did with my Puma and lots of people commented on how stupid I was to sell it for what I did, it was worth way more but I wanted rid as it was surplus to my needs and I was more than happy with what it was sold for as I wanted someone else to get the use out of it as a perfectly usable car for many more years. I will however say I wish I'd kept it and sold the RX8 in hindsight so my final word is be sure in your decision to keep/sell/strip.

Whatever you do I hope your happy with the result and take my above comments in the spirit they were meant :eek:k:

maybe I should rewrite it....I have spent over 10k, the car is worth over 5k in parts as it stands. I have just sold a lot of spares so I am being very realistic about the price. ie if I split it id want 700 for the engine, even though its had an 800 block rebuild, 700 on gas flowing, 100 worth of frp cams (2nd hand price) and the inlet at 500 (2nd hand), new clutch at 150 etc etc....

I am being realistic

those people who compare it to other frp's aren't reading the description properly, it blows a standard frp away with kit and custom parts

as for the dodgy info, yep, but I have to be honest....its not a 98 cat d worth 500, its an original frp with a new id.

its probably going to get stripped!

if anyone is interested in parts have a look over my build thread and pretend its a shopping list & get in touch

hmmmm. i should buy it, but then my wife would kill me :) I'l have a look, I am looking for a pair of front seats. but shipping usualy is murder to norway..

jacko said:
those people who compare it to other frp's aren't reading the description properly, it blows a standard frp away with kit and custom parts

:lol: :lol: :lol: Jacko, your in lala land i'm afraid...

A non running car is a scrap banger end of story.. if you don't strip it and get what you can for the parts it's going to be sitting there rusting away for a long time..

the Puma is getting quite an age now and the amount of owners out there willing to even buy expensive parts and servicing are rapidly diminishing even in the FRP community so i wouldn't hang about on this one... :wink:

Chris

eldood, id appreciate it if you just stayed out of this...

2 months ago I just sold a ton of spares at these prices....so theyre realistic

This is a forum and you invited people to offer their opinions, and that's exactly what you got, so you might as well take them on the chin.

jacko said:
eldood, id appreciate it if you just stayed out of this...

2 months ago I just sold a ton of spares at these prices....so theyre realistic

OK, but that's exactly what I have pointed out is the best thing to do... :idea:

Sell your ton of bits and get rid!... no-one is going to buy a non-runner modified Puma no matter how many painstaking hours you've put into it..it's just not going to happen you have to be realistic..

and (considering our history) I have asked you politely to stay out of this thread...

Not going to quote yippeekiays long post, but id agree 100% with this as we discussed the other day. I do think its a damn shame to break your car, theres a whole lot of work gone into it, but in the nicest possible way, getting any sort of decent money for a none runner & either potential ringer or Cat D write off just seems a massive ask. If it was absolutely mint bodywork , with no rust, youd have more of a chance, but genuine FRP's in similar condition to yours are selling for a fair bit less then yours. You do have some awesome bits on your car that id love, but the unknown immobiliser fault & and general condition offsets that.

So to summerise, i think to get your money you would need to break it! Just my 2 cents worth!

Yep, just a bit amazed no one can see the potential. You can't buy an frp below 6k without respraying it. Mine only has surface rust, its actually very good for its age, and stone chips. That's par for the course. I think a lot of people are being way too picky. Add all the bits together and its worth a lot more than a standard frp. Its up for sale as a 'project', I'm not being daft. If I come across someone who likes wiring they'd have it running in an afternoon. IV just fallen out of love with it. The history is dodgy or interesting, depends on your opinion. Its not illegal....if it were I'd have stripped the car 7 years ago.

Really, REALLY amazed im getting these responses on here....from people who have seen all my work, who know the car would be solid and built to 'jacko' spec....no expense or hard work spared and your all whinging about a dull surface finish. Ffs!!! Cars are for driving, not polishing and mine is rock solid. It needs a new owner, some wires checking and a bodywork once over.

If I had the money Paul, it would be on my drive right now!
As you say a car's for driving, not for polishing. Mine gets all the attention it needs, when it needs it, very rarely gets a clean but it starts first time every time (jinx).
Might be interested in the engine, I'll let you know.
PS I know where's there's an "09" plate Aston V8 Vantage with 30K on the clock going cheap, all you've got to do is sneak it out of B'ham Uni Mechanical Engineering dept before Aston has it back to crush it! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

If i had the cash it would also be on my drive way! But i'll settle for parts! I think the history is very interesting indeed but i'm not a purist or rivet counter. I think i love everything about the car (that i know about!)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! sneak it out the back door for me!!!

cheers guys, im a lot happier if the parts go to people on here.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! sneak it out the back door for me!!!

cheers guys, im a lot happier if the parts go to people on here.

What an absolute waste of a beautiful car!! What would happen if it happened to go missing?? :cool:

I'll get you the Aston Jacko, and you give me the Rally Rep!!

if you can get it running in an afternoon why not just do it? It would make financial sense surely?

jacko said:
Yep, just a bit amazed no one can see the potential.

Well you are wrong Jacko...

I agree with what other have said that people are extremely less likely to buy a car that has issues.. and serious ones in comparison to 'needs a brake hose replaced'.

But you are wrong that people do not see the potential... and to echo what others have said... If I had the cash... i'd have it, but im a meagre man who doesn't just have 4.5k to sign off on a whim to them spend even more to get it fixed.

You have a brilliant car Jacko, through whats been done to it and its unique history... both things that really appeal to me.
I cannot and nor can anyone tell you what is the right thing to do for you. We all know that if we sell vehicles, that we want to get the most for them. With that logical approach, then its strip the vehicle... but is that the right approach for this specific vehicle. I know you have had a tough time with the issues on it and can respect that at this point, as I would be, is truly fed up trying to get it working. But... maybe that will get the car sold for maybe 5k... You have mentioned on other places the amount of views and watchers on the ebay ad... all you need is that 1 person... but I think that 1 person will come calling on a working vehicle.

Like I say, nobody can tell you whats best to do. I personally, despite me kicking at your heels for parts from it... I would try to explore more avenues to get that immobiliser issue fixed.

cheers

immobiliser issues plus its odd history and the financial side of things...best to strip it i think

shame but at least the parts will be useful to people and in a way, it is the dodgy frp, it shouldnt be on the road (i know that will make the frpoc happy too!). had 7 years of fun, i / a few people know how special it is but a newbie wont

think its got about a week left. i would really like the rear wings to find a new home.

Latest posts

Back