4mm perspex windows

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darvillej

Hi Again

I now have the 4mm perspex to replace my side windows.
question is how do you cut it without breaking it. going to use the old windows as a base template cut it near to size and then finish with a small hand plane?

Jim

correct way is remove rear qtr panels and either use a long blade (used with care and lube) or windscreen fitters cheesewire

Failed to explain properly :oops: . we have the perspex in Square 4mm thick sheets and will need to cut it to the correct size.
We will be removing the glass and cutting templates to stick to the perspex. then will need cut. Have tried jigsaw but tends to chip the sheet wood saw is also not good.

Jim

ok as mentioned perspex is a bit too brittle for cars and polycarb is the best, a slow cutting wheel on a mini angle grinder or a very fine plastics blade should cut either types no bother

Sorry to break this one to you...

But perspex will go "milky" in no time. (unlike polycarbonate)

a rotary tool will cut it if you want to persevere.

I would recomend putting this one down to experience and buy some polycarb,
youll only be doing it again in 12 months anyway...

Jigsaw, nice fine blade, nice and slow.

And concentrate

72568_488495661638_6624428_n.jpg

Thinks for the info got them cut but will change them to polycarbonate next year.
You live and learn?

jim

simple way to cut perspex or polly realy you want macralon think thats how you spell it any way the cutting method :roll: get a jig saw use a 118 blade rest the perspex on a sheet of ply and on slow cut through the perspex and the ply :cool: works every time :wink: also wrap maskin tape round the foot on the jig saw to save scuffing the surface of the perspex :wink:

We borrowed a band saw from the buildiong department and put a fine blade on worked a treat thanks.

Another good trick is to use a spray bottle of water to cool the blade as you cut to help stop it from melting the material and binding up the blade.

Latest posts

Back