Manx's Puma - Track car

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenner2002

Manx’s Puma

Hello All,
I have been reading lots of info and also talking few people about this website from other track days and I must admit on this site most days reading all post etc also I couldn't done bits to my puma without reading reading/viewing info on here. So BIG thanks to everyone for all your help.
I am good quite good with cars but limited on funds and also I so badly need a garage but I made do with what I could do for the 1st track day. I don’t use this car for anything else.

Please bare with me as my grammar is not the best.

I have got an early 1997 puma 1.7 vct it was bought in England when they 1st came out and then was taken over to Isle of Man. My dad had bought the car off chap that was trying to set it up for the race at Jurby airfield also sprint events too. He used it a run about till he bought another car then I bought it back over to start some track racing etc.
This is what looked like when I picked it up from Liverpool when dad drove it over for me. The green car park lights make look pretty cool.
IMG_2896_zps90bb54d8.jpg

Over in the Isle of Man they don't believe in MOT’s like they do over here so when I got it back home I checked the car all over and I need to replace the front n/s spring, CV joint and also all replaced both front lower wishbones. I ordered these parts and began stripping the car down, removing all seat, plastic trim etc. Just so I could get good look at that the car as I not sure what it was like. Also I didn’t want to pill loads of money into the car if the engine wasn’t going to hold up
IMG_4337_zps3651fe2a.jpg

IMG_4338_zps77928b69.jpg

IMG_4339_zpsa218b0bc.jpg

IMG_4340_zpsee4ae8e6.jpg

IMG_4341_zpsebc71304.jpg

IMG_2825_zps97913f00.jpg

My little dog dizzy likes to watch what I do, also likes to sit in the car lol (this in other car not puma)
So once I got lots of stuff out the way I began shopping and searching for parts.
The standard front brakes were completely worn down (239mm front disc) and need to be replaced or upgraded them. I read up on a lot of different set ups and also pricing things up as I didn’t pill loads of money in car as yet. I went for Fiesta St 150 MK5 front calipers with Yellow pads (278mm vented disc). I just bought another set of 15 inch alloys for track and I didn’t fancy fitting the Mondeo MK3 300mm set up and then grinding the caliper down for them not to rub on alloys. Also I ran some 46mm induction cold feed air pipes from under the front bumper to front disc for cooling so they didn’t fade or over heat on the track. (Pictures later on for these)
Go them off Ebay and when I received them I cleaned them up and painted them bright red.
IMG_4517_zps665a774e.jpg

IMG_4544_zps40d86c10.jpg

Old standard brakes to take off
IMG_4543_zps8984eb2c.jpg

Got everything to get them fitted even some instructions of this site to help me out.
IMG_4563_zps857bcfeb.jpg

Look a lot better.

I managed to get hold of new steering wheel for the car too.
IMG_4439_zps66fe27c6.jpg

Get the old steering wheel off.
IMG_4522_zps18668250.jpg

Also I managed to get hold of some bucket seats as well.
IMG_4648_zps01efa391.png

Before I went track racing at Blyton Park I also did a full service and changing all filter and spark plugs also put in some new oil as well. I also added a nice big K&N induction kit to Puma as well. I also flushed the whole water system and then added some racing coolant so it would over heat too much. (Which was best £15 I ever spent was it work better than I thought)- Redline Water Wetter Super Coolant

When I had done all this I need to get tracking sorted out and wheels all lined up. So I took to me mates garage for him to check the car all over making sure what I had done was correct and safe. Also to make sure I haven’t missed anything as well.
IMG_4871_zps5bdf692a.jpg

IMG_4872_zps95de8365.jpg

IMG_4873_zpsddd76e50.jpg

Mods I have done so far
1. Stripped out all the interior and fitted drivers bucket seat and harness
2. Fitted Momo steering wheel and boss kit
3. Upgraded to fiesta mk5 front 278mm disc with yellow pads and 46mm cold air feed pipes
4. K&N induction kit
Just a few basic mods for track racing to make sure everything runs smoothly and also I enjoy it and you got to start somewhere.

Blyton Track Day
Now the puma is all up and running I taken it to Blyton for my 1st every track day with my own car. We made it a big day out as my mate races in the 750mc Locost championship and also his brothering law/me mate was in top 3 in that class and now he races in Fiesta ST cup (which I am mega jealous of his car) this put a bit of pressure on me to make sure that my car ran perfect and with any problems also I didn’t make a fool of myself with everyone watching etc.
Here are few photos of us all and the cars
IMG_4877_zps8b27d9a6.jpg

IMG_4876_zpsa767d7b8.jpg

IMG_4875_zps00dfbff2.jpg

IMG_4874_zpsd2626633.jpg

IMG_4880_zps1c717e6a.jpg

IMG_4878_zps80be3c2b.jpg

IMG_4879_zps54010a91.jpg

blyton_park_40_20130708_1923919032_zps85555d12.jpg

This is my mates Locost
blyton_park_46_20130708_1788593034_zps418a72fc.jpg

Here is some video only about 18/20 seconds long it was my sister filming the side of pits.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNv5iMINLwg[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CwzLF4Wn30[/youtube]

The track day was brilliant all mates came out for passenger rides the Brake never failed me once, my mate who owns the Locost chucked the Puma quicker than me and he couldn’t believe how well the brake held up and loved every minute. He was worried that brake would fail since it was so warm. The cold air feed I added really worked.
There were 2 other pumas there that day from around the Barnsley area with I had a good chat with and they use this site as well. Yellow one and another silver puma. I got lot more little tips and ideas from as well.

Plans for 2014
Now I got the bug for track racing I could believe how good the puma performed and also how it held up. So now I don’t mind spending a bit more money on the car. I have bought some 40mm Lowering springs and Full omp strut kit. Then I got fit the passenger bucket seat and harness as I didn’t get time before. Give it a bit of TLC sort out some of the paint work etc. My mate keeps bugging me to take it back down to his garage so we can get it sorted as he really wanted to come last time and now he’s got a track car he wants me to go racing with him this year.
I am going to try and get hold of MK1 Mondeo throttle body, and also remove all aircon system and heating system as it’s got heated front screen. I only use car few times a year.
Also is worth getting some 12mm front spacers for it so the front wheels are more in line with the back? I haven’t fitted any rear spacers so I didn’t know if that would better than just fitting rear spacers as the back wheel will be lots wider than front ones.

it looks like the same day we were at Blyton last year, a really hot day 7th July, might be mistaken but seems familiar.

Noobrider - Yes that's the date I couldn't remember the date, mega hot day didn't you have the MG then?
That red lotus broke down just before start straight front right wheel/cv boot blow up in front of me when he over took me covered when in rubber n smoke lol and that old Subaru smashed his front right hub and hole wheel came off at 1st left right he did that in front of me. just wish I had my in car cam set up to catch it all.

lol, yes had the MG, my son had the Red Puma engined Fiesta and we had a couple of other cars there too a BRM and a Civic EK9 with a type R integra engine. Very hot day, my tyres would only do about 6 laps at a time before they overheated. Yeah both those incidents took ages to clear up.

I had my in car camera but didn't get anything interesting on it.

Back