Rear anti roll bar?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanH

Has any body tried fitting a rear anti roll bar of a mk3 xr2i?

H

Yes, And as is understand the puma beam is fully enclosed across the car which makes it more stable that the fiesta mk 4/5 which is not boxed in and is similar to the mk3. My ideas was to take the forward mounting point and weld them in the same position as on the xr2 but make the rear mounting point which is near the shock mount adjustable like on the RS 16i and RS turbo Front ARB So allowing a degree of ARB adjustment. I have seen similar no adjustable kits that can be added to the MK6 on Ebay

H

A long time ago, on Ebay, someone had the following for sale. This is the description and pictures:

"Fiesta RS Turbo anti-roll bar
TrackDay / Fast Road Rear Axle for Fiesta Mk4/5, Ka or Puma.
This axle has been modified by having polyurethane bushes fitted, and a Fiesta
RS Turbo anti-roll bar fitted (again using poly-bushes)
It will fit any Puma, Fiesta Mk4/5, Zetec-S, or Ka, provided that you use 'eye
mounted' rear shock absorbers.
It will radically transform the handling of your car.
All bushes on the axle are NEW and UNUSED! - Never got round to using this axle."

Trouble with this is it will alter the spring rates required for the car as it stiffens up individual wheel movement as well as anti roll.
Barry

The spring rating issue can’t be that large can it ? the RS turbo series 1 had a full adjustable set up and used non-adjustable shocks or the need for spring changes.
The thought was by repositioning the front mount across the width then create a bracket from a similar front mount point to the back mount point with a lower section that runs at a selected angle back to the front mount point, with a bolt slit below the back fixing and running it towards the front fixing for the rear bush attachment you would be able to slide the back bush up or down the slide to reduce the length of the roll bar. Increasing or reducing the torsional resistance as you wanted. I haven’t modelled it in Ansys yet but will have a look when I get time?
H

The rs turbo series 1 will have been designed from the start to have the ARB so will have the spring rates to suit. What I'm saying is that if you add an ARB or stiffen an existing ARB on a car you may have to adjust the spring rates accordingly as not only will it increase the anti roll but it will stiffen up individual suspension movement.
Barry

As said no reason why it wont work on the puma beam. In the xr/rs world some people use two of the ARB's to stiffen it even further.

It wouldnt be hard to get a custom made bladed anti-roll bar made up, using drop links and a mount welded on the rear struts.

I see what you mean! Basically by increasing the stiffness you potentially reduce the rears ability too Grip the road on the inside wheel if the ABR is to stiff, as the wheel lifts of the road. Obviously it needs some more thought but we must also consider that the standard puma uses the same rear beam as the frp which has a lot different spring ratings to the standard puma? I suppose the starting point would be to find both spring ratings and the cars boundary conditions, weight, and the stiffness of the torsion beams.

H

warrenpenalver said:
As said no reason why it wont work on the puma beam. In the xr/rs world some people use two of the ARB's to stiffen it even further.

It wouldnt be hard to get a custom made bladed anti-roll bar made up, using drop links and a mount welded on the rear struts.

Exactly my plan!

Using the drop links and connections on the rear mount I suppose you have to mount the ARB the other way?

Looking at the pictures and thinking about it is not that hard to calculate the difference between the two rear beams and what the addition of the xr ARB would be in the stiffness. I might give it a try at work on Friday.

H

You can use the Whiteline ARB kit for the mk6 Fiesta ST.

I was speaking to the guys from whiteline at autosport show this year, they say it will fit.

Looks like it will fit as long as you have the eye mounted rear beam

http://www.mountuneownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&p=6756" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im sure you could fit it with a fork mount as well, its on my shopping list for the puma's final winter strip down.

Latest posts

Back