Sports Cat

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowcol

Hi - Recently fitted a stainless steel sports exhaust and a air induction kit (Ramair) Looking to get the car going quicker without spending a fortune! Thinking about a sports cat which should aid the flow - eventually building up to a remap.
Anybody got experience of fitting a Sports cat and the gains / improvements it makes?
Anybody know of one for sale or what I should pay for a new one?
Looking forward to your thoughts as always - any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
CM

Hi CM
You don't say whether you've fitted a four branch exhaust manifold as well as the sports exhaust. If you still have the standard exhaust manifold and downpipe you still have the standard cat so fitting a sports cat is a waste of time.
Barry

Hi Thanks for the advice.
I spoke to the guy that built the exhaust for me and he advises that the cat on the Puma is an integral part of the manifold so only way to put a sports cat on would be to change the manifold for a different design.
Just wondered if anybody had tried anything else - can the cat be removed from the manifold? If a sports cat was then built into the system would it improve power or would the changes to the manifold without the original cat be detrimental to performance?

If I change the manifold is there any relatively cheap options out there that would fit? Any other Ford manifolds without a cat fitted that would bolt on in place of the Puma manifold?

I am trying to get the most performance gain for the least cash - not surprisingly!

Would love to know what other folk have done.
Thanks again.

The most important part of the exhaust which will give you the biggest gain is the manifold. The standard Ford one is extremely restrictive and is only good for getting the cat up to working temp as quickly as possible. If you want more power the four branch is the way to go, then decide whether you want to run it de-cat or with a sports cat.
On my car I've a Piper 4 branch and de-cat system but I have adapted it to run a sports cat as I want it legal.
Barry

Thanks for that advice. What is best for power - a 4 into 1 or does it go 4-2-1? Any idea what manifolds would fit other than a FRP manifold?
Thanks
CM

I think most of the aftermarket exhaust manifolds have pretty much the same pipe layout. Piper and Miltek might be the most popular (?) both being in Stainless steel. There is also a cheaper Sportex but that's only mild steel so will rust. Also both the Sportex and the Miltek have flexi joints which is better for FWD cars as it gives a little movement in the pipe for the engine rocking. Occasionally cheap S/S exhausts of an unknown make appear on Ebay but I can't comment on them.
Barry

OK took the advice re the manifold and managed to pick up a FRP manifold so that should work well. I still need to pass an MOT so need a sports cat. Any thoughts on where to get one and how much I should pay?
Any thoughts / views on what HP gain I should see with this fitted - I have a Ramair induction kit fitted but standard engine otherwise.
Thanks
CM

Hi CM
The guy who I bought the manifold off told me he had an FRP cat so I bought that off him for £35 it looks a mess but he said it still works so look out for one of those. Alternatively there are lots of companies such as Great British Sports cars that sell sport cats but they would need flanges welding on and you need to check dimensions to make sure there's enough room as it's a bit tight down there. Seen lots of figures bandied about about HP gains but would guess something 5 -10 hp and corresponding torque increases.
Barry

Hi thanks for the advice. I have an exhaust builder near me who did the st/steel exhaust on the car. I reckon he can probably fit a sports cat for me if I can find one about the right size. I have 2 lambda sensors so I will need to get him to mod whatever I get so it can take them and keep that damned light off!
10hp would be really good to get though.

Thanks again
CM

We run a miltek Sport cat. Did you get one sorted? Not sure without taking it off what the difference between it and a de-cat would be performance wise.

Latest posts

Back