First trackday in Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord B

149 miles round castle combe, at our annual forum trackday

bit of footage being followed by a Subaru STI, didn't do to bad, but lack of top end speed looses out on main straight into folly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GxXGoopXlo#t=259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

excluding Tax and Insurance, car stands me at £650

http://www.fresh-orange.co.uk/showrider.asp?subfolderid=150925&folderid=5793&eventid=649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not into mega power, or fancy looks, would rather spend money on trackdays and petrol than looking pretty in the pits, or endless photo whoring

although have just bought a Milly for 285 (with 112.50 of tax to cash in) so £175, very ropey, but has a reasonable pair of front seats, that with a bit of tinkering with some budget universal covers, can probably make look ok

has a working clock, decent glove box, door cards, boot trim and parcel shelf, all going in silver one, rest of car will be stripped and scrapped

Whats the spec and how much hp is it running, it sounds nice with the spooling and chatter noises!

Kind Regards,

Puma555.

TAPE ECU and loom in that Millie, get that sold.

Airbag control box is also an AC unit so a bit rarer than the newer stuff, although two airbags I think? Still worth keeping.

Puma555 said:
Whats the spec and how much hp is it running, it sounds nice with the spooling and chatter noises!

Kind Regards,

Puma555.

Not a clue, was just footage from someone at trackday, from their car, all I know it was a subaru, but TBH not into turbo chatter, recirculation might not make nice noises, but when I had T5 and T4 Volvo's was more interested in making decent power, rather than decent noise, always find it amusing when people have improved sound of car with a cone filter........... why improve sound at cost of performance?

If its like most Imprezas on track days it'll be fast in a straight line and holding up Pumas in corners :lol:

Ian G said:
If its like most Imprezas on track days it'll be fast in a straight line and holding up Pumas in corners :lol:

was in adjacent garages at brands last year in my standard Volvo V40 T4, (200 BHP) with a Subaru, with full racing harnesses, turbo size of my engine, he was there with his mate as a passenger, I went out for a few laps as passenger in it, epically quick on main straight, aparrently it was dyno'd at 500 something, took his mate out in my T4, and he seemed surprised that lap time was almost identical, I know if someone more experienced was driving scooby it would be far quicker in corners, but don't think the brake set up matched the power, for a 4WD didn't feel as planted as I would have expected, considering some of the volvo's my friends own and track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXnPqytARbI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not bad for a 18 year old ex police car, Its quiet fun as passenger on nurburgring overtaking all sorts in a standard looking volvo estate, and when you lift bonnet, it kinda looks standard under there as well.

I keep having re-occuring thoughts that a Volvo engine of some sort would be a good next step for mine.

Ian G said:
I keep having re-occuring thoughts that a Volvo engine of some sort would be a good next step for mine.

early T4 engine (pre 2000 ish) the 1.9 without VVT would probably fit, with a bit of jiggling around, and would be much easier to fit than the later engines, where ECU transplant would be a nightmare

T5 is just to big and heavy, anything else hasn't got a turbo, so no point

ECU doesn't worry me too much, no reason the entire Volvo loom can't go in the Puma.

Needs to be a 5 cylinder though.

Ian G said:
ECU doesn't worry me too much, no reason the entire Volvo loom can't go in the Puma.

Needs to be a 5 cylinder though.

Perhaps you have experience of the later volvo stuff, but the mountains of modules and harness, and grief the later stuff brings, if you could fit a 5 cylinder in, would be interesting, but for simplicity would really need to be pre 99MY, as 4.3/4.4 motronic is a lot more user friendly and more raw in its power delivery than the ME7 stuff, where mountain of modules insist on talking to each other and anything not right it spits it dummy

Latest posts

Back