Removing PAS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darvillej

Hi Guys
Had the car out at Brands for a track day 17/1/15, with 2 other Pumas present (Nice meeting you guys).

We had a good day until the engine lost a big end bearing. Not a major problem have spare engines.

while the engine is out going to replace the anti roll bar and lower arm bushes for orange poly mounts.

Main point is can I replace the rack from a Ford Ka without PAS. could gain a few BHP by not having the PAS pump running of the engine. Will it be to heavy??????
Car normally runs at Santapod not brands Hatch.
will also need the auxiliary belt changed.

Any info would be appreciated.

Jim Carshalton College.

Hi ppl,
The non PAS rack from a mk4 Fiesta fits (you need the column too)
The PAS pump with tensioner is 6.5kg so it`s well worth doing (A/C pump is 6kg)
The fiesta rack is much slower than the Puma (fizzy = 4 turns lock to lock, Puma + 2 1/2 turns)
For drag racing that would be fine for you, For circuit driving you are better to keep the Puma quick rack (hard work in the paddock though!)
The non PAS/AC fiesta uses a different tensioner which is available on ebay for about £30, the belt is a regular ford fitment so easy to find.

Another benefit of removing both is thaty the belt has an easier route, freeing up another bit of a bhp...
Here`s what I`ve done to mine
original
without pumps

Hi trublustu and every one else.

Quick update the rack and removed the PAS pump and A/C Managed to remove the top jockey pulley.
Have been to various scrap yard and have been unable to find a Mk 4 fiesta column that fits. There seems to be 2 sizes of non splined connectors and I have the smaller one which seems to be rare. So i spent Saturday checking columns at the pease pottage breakers yard.

No Joy seems I have to pay over £3oo for a complete column just to knock of the lover universal joint.

Have also rebuilt the engine and secured a spare with a Gearbox.

now told the column is no longer available for this type of Mk4 fiesta

Latest posts

Back