Lambda sensor after fitting milltek 4 to 2 to 1 manifold

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJS_Puma

Hi all. Next step is to refit my lambda sensor after fitting a milltek 4 branch manifold.
Am after opinions on the best, easiest and most reliable way to do this. Believe it has to be extended??.
Have seen some aftermarket one's for sale which are longer, would these be ok?.
My Puma is a 99 plate 1.7 which has only 1 lambda sensor.
Also wondered, if buying another does it have to match exactly?, meaning pre cat or post cat, is there any difference between these??.
Any help would be very much appreciated. This is pretty much the last job to do before firing her up and the shakedown tests.
Many thanks, Jim.

Hi Jim
If it was running ok prior to fitting the manifold just extend the wires and refit it, not forgetting to buy a new washer for it.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Jim
If it was running ok prior to fitting the manifold just extend the wires and refit it, not forgetting to buy a new washer for it.
Barry
Cheers for the reply Barry. Car and engine running spot on prior to works, no lights up, engine really sweet.
So, just to be sure, just a case of letting in some wire of the same thickness/ampage?.
This will i take it mean cutting, soldering twice for each wire, if you know what i mean!! :? .
Was kinda hoping to just do a plug and play, dont like the idea of chopping and soldering!, what dya reckon??. Jim.

Hi Jim
I'm not sure you would get a lambda sensor with enough wire and the right plug on the end so you've really no choice. I soldered and used heat shrink on mine so it's a good fix. I just happened to have some offcuts of wire off an aftermarket ECU wiring harness that were the right size and colour that I used.
Barry

Hi Barry, cheers for he replies and apologies for not getting back sooner. Our little English bull terrier puppy's been taking up all our time!!!.
Thanks for the info and comments, will get around to it hopefully sooner rather than later :| .

tuonokid said:
Hi Jim
I'm not sure you would get a lambda sensor with enough wire and the right plug on the end so you've really no choice. I soldered and used heat shrink on mine so it's a good fix. I just happened to have some offcuts of wire off an aftermarket ECU wiring harness that were the right size and colour that I used.
Barry

All done Barry, used the wire from an old lambda sensor I had knocking around, seemed to be about the right gauge!!.... My soldering wasn't brilliant tbh, but did twist wires together pretty good beforehand, seemed strong enough I think.

Looking now at how best to route the cable down to the plug on the sensor itself.
As you probably know the original length of lambda cable is not great.
My car is a 99 on a T plate with thankfully the Tape ecu!, yaaaa, so single lambda.
Any suggestions/ help Barry or anyone would be very much appreciated.

Pictures would be even better, know that would be fairly difficult though I guess.

Cheers, Jim.

Hi Jim
There's some pictures of my lambda installation on page 4 of my project thread. The important thing is to keep the cable away from the exhaust and to make sure that the cable goes into the sensor at a straight angle otherwise it will chafe (as the exhaust will move with the engine).
Barry

Nice one Barry. Rain stopped plat atm! :-( , we're getting the worst of it down in the south east atm.
Anyway thanks for your prompt replies, you seem like a top bloke and very like minded I think.
So just quickly, have been into my cars since knee high and like you had some nice stuff along the way. Daily driver is my much loved Civic Type R ep3 2004, low mileage and amount of owners, very much loved and looked after, more or less original car :wink: :wink:. Love my bikes too, last one being full fat silver storm R1!, lovely bike, bit rad though :grin:.
So my Puma, 1 previous family owned from new!, all the books, history, 3 keys, loads of paperwork, sweet 80 thou ish engine, no rust at all on rear arches and I mean at all, removed arch liners, still like new underneath :grin:.
In process turning her into a full blown track car, probably, say probably??, won't be used on road.
Loads more but will do a little at a time, if don't mind me bothering you every once in a while.
Regards, Jim.

Hi Jim
That does sound a bargain but if it was so nice I would be reluctant to use it as a track car and maybe buy another tatty one to use as a track car. Good colour red on a Puma :)
It's wazzing it down here as well and has been doing so all morning :-(
Barry

Was an absolute bargain Barry. I do know what you mean, would have made a great standard car with a bit of work and a couple of hundred quid. Unfortunately have been working on her now for a while and almost ready o rock and roll :grin: .
Probably spent about £1500 on it now, has ap coilovers all round, semi slick rubber, poly'd, braced, ST complete front brake upgrade(mint cond), rear brakes all new, braided hoses all round, rear beam poly'd, new top mounts, cobra Imola buckets, fitted to cobra specific subframes, bought from Pumajay on here!.
Couple of sets of alloys now, mainly 9 spokes and some spare props. All with brand new or great boots, all ready to go.
Have done the FRP airbox mod, came out really good tbh :) and fitted with K&N panel filter.
Bit the bullet and went for full racing puma Milltek system, decat, straight through, with 4X3 oval pipe.
Lovely MOMO Corse 350mm wheel with appropriate boss.
Done a little bit today, plumbed all the rear brakes up, new brake pipes etc. Now ready for bleeding.
Cheers, Jim.

Latest posts

Back