Recommendation: Helmets

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayfox

and before you start naming people on here I mean for your head..

I've currently got a cheapo open-face omp and although bits not heavy I don't like the way it sits (high up on head) and the paddings not great all the way round, plus photos of a squashed up red and sweaty face isn't the best in photos. I'm thinking full face would be safer too as I don't have an airbag (not that my harnesses should snap mind!)

What's vision like as opposed to open face one's for those who have them?

and although just for track days but what approval ratings a good idea to look out for FIA / snell?

I don't know if motorbike helmets are shaped differently to car racing ones but after getting an open face I can't even wear a full face anymore because there is no such thing as peripheral vision. And it's heavy and you can't hear nearly as much either.

I have heard of people using bike helmets (I'm sure they're safe enough!) but yea I think they are mostly shaped differently. There seems a massive step up in price from your basic omp/sparco jobbies for £50 or 60 plus vat to the £200/£300 range although I have seen one which is called the V2 Pro seemed to be a good'un from what I can dig up so far from other random forums best price Ive seen is £169. Just occurred to me as well that if I do go full face I can have passenger lap in open tops, bonus!

One thing I would think about is the rules changed in Motorsport from the beginning of this year meaning lots of people have had to buy new hemets, as a result the second hand market has been flooded with top quality helmets such as stilo and peltor/3m for very little money.

True but they're not so easy to inspect as other safety items like harnesses, wouldn't necessarily know if it's had a knock and for that reason I'd never buy used.

Even if you don't want to buy secondhand for the reasons outlined above, the rule changes also mean manufacturers are trying to get rid of Snell SA2010 accredited helmets which are perfectly good and now heavily discounted.

The V2 ones you mentioned are pretty good, I looked at getting one the other weekend at the Autosport show.

I currently just use my bike helment. Does the job but I would prefer to have a proper car designed full face helment.

Andrew Hebron said:
[post]345763[/post] Even if you don't want to buy secondhand for the reasons outlined above, the rule changes also mean manufacturers are trying to get rid of Snell SA2010 accredited helmets which are perfectly good and now heavily discounted.

whys that ?

AFAIK SA2010 and SA2015 both have the same end of life according to the blue book - and both allow user fitment of hans posts

Was sure I was going to go with black then went white at the last minute, bit risky buying without trying but the site had a great returns policy and happens to fit a treat

DSC_0877%203_zpsr5fzqeni.jpg

DSC_0879%203_zpsue3ljmup.jpg

Ziggy said:
[post]345787[/post]
Andrew Hebron said:
[post]345763[/post] Even if you don't want to buy secondhand for the reasons outlined above, the rule changes also mean manufacturers are trying to get rid of Snell SA2010 accredited helmets which are perfectly good and now heavily discounted.

whys that ?

AFAIK SA2010 and SA2015 both have the same end of life according to the blue book - and both allow user fitment of hans posts

Yes, but:

a) the end of life extension for SA2010 wasn't confirmed until late in the day by the MSA so a lot of people delayed buying and
b) if you were buying new, would you prefer a SA2010 or 2015? If they can extend 2010, they can extend 2015. One thing is certain - SA2015 won't expire before SA2010.

For trackdays I have a Sparco X1 club helmet which is fine for track days - no certification for motorsport but it's a bit too big for me (If anyone wants a Matt Black Large that's been used once let me know). they are only about £70.

Also have a Shoei GT Air in white (Medium) so using that if I go go-karting. It's a motorcycle helmet but a £400 one so should be up to surviving a fair crash on my local track (short straights, more technical than speed).

Andrew Hebron said:
[post]345806[/post]
Ziggy said:
[post]345787[/post]
Andrew Hebron said:

whys that ?

Yes, but:

a) the end of life extension for SA2010 wasn't confirmed until late in the day by the MSA so a lot of people delayed buying and
b) if you were buying new, would you prefer a SA2010 or 2015? If they can extend 2010, they can extend 2015. One thing is certain - SA2015 won't expire before SA2010.

who knows what will happen with future MSA rules - I can see them life'ing HANS devices / tethers in the not too distant future!

Latest posts

Back