polycarbonate windows

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmotorsport

Hi all, can anyone recommend anyone other than Plastics4performance for a side and rear window kit? I'm assuming it needs to be a formed kit due to the curvy nature of the Puma? Would like a choice and i'm grumbling at needing to spend over £400 for some plastic!

I've researched a fair bit and also called acwmotorsportplastics about the rear window and they pointed me to Plastics4performance (even though they said it was expensive), no one else seems to manufacture it which is why they can probably get away with the price.

I just used a paper template on the rear existing screen, marked and cut a sheet of polycarbonate, then used silicon and nuts and bolts to fix it in place.

The hardest part was removing the existing glass screen, after a lot of cursing I ended up getting a windscreen fitter to remove it.

The passenger and drivers windows are polycarbonate with sliding vents from ACW. Really pleased with them.

What surprised me was that the rear glass screen is actually not that heavy.

The side windows can be flat, they bend into shape and bolt down.
The rear glass has a double curvature to it and a formed window is the best way to preserve the aerodynamics.
A thinner sheet might bend but wouldn't meet MSA regs (not an issue if you have no plans to go racing)

Can confirm 2mm polycarbonate bends and bonds very well both longitudinally and laterally. But as Stuart says is not MSA legal. Think you would have a harder time bonding 4mm without bolting or rivet. So would have to go down the thermo formed route to avoid them

Re the notes on 2 mm polycarb rear windows, is this just not msa approved for racing. What about hillclimb / sprint use? And trackdays??

Thanks, Ed

Latest posts

Back