radiator upgrade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmotorsport

Hi all, are there any straightforward radiator swaps for the Puma? I'm running a standard Ford Fiesta/Puma rad and now temps are worrying me. The FRP rad seems to be the same model as the regular Puma, but does a Focus or Mondeo rad fit or offer a larger core?

I just did over 200 miles in 30' heat, including a couple of 30 minute sessions on track.
Wringings its neck every step on the way.
All on a standard radiator.
Temp gauge was rock steady.
A standard (good condition) is more than up to the job in a Puma.
If your over heating. Check for blockages and the thermostat condition

PumaJay said:
[post]364426[/post] I've got a Direnza alloy rad that is a direct replacement and twice as thick. Works very well!

I've just ordered a Direnza rad which looks good on paper (pixels)

trublustu said:
[post]364431[/post] I just did over 200 miles in 30' heat, including a couple of 30 minute sessions on track.
Wringings its neck every step on the way.
All on a standard radiator.
Temp gauge was rock steady.
A standard (good condition) is more than up to the job in a Puma.
If your over heating. Check for blockages and the thermostat condition

I'm running around 200bhp and temps are around 100deg C in clean air on track and on fairly cool days. I want a bit more margin!

As im planning on doing a turbo jobby to mine.. i opted to try the Mk1/2 Mondeo Auto Radiator with 2x oil cooler built in.
(part no: 93bb 8005 hc/he)
These im lead to believe and happy to be corrected were also used in the Rally spec pumas....
*Some Vauxhalls surprisingly reach '110-115deg C' before fan kicks in...
But saying this, i agree the stock radiator is indeed up for the task. Perhaps mate it with a different style of fan.

((Oddly enough my last puma 1.7 drove from Rochester to London, reaching the not allowed full sweep on the speedo, with less than min in coolant tank and intermittant working fan... never over heated once, even in traffic))

Latest posts

Back