Fitting 6 point harness with standard seat?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBandy

Has anyone done it? Found lots of posts with bucket seats and harness but no standard ones, the car is already stripped so rears were easy, is it possible to remove the seatbelt stalk easily or is it seat out job? If so how does the seat come out?

Cheers,

Chris.

Think I've found the bolt that was hidden- I've got a focus centre console and it was in the way!

Hi.

A five or six point harness wont work with the standard seat (and some buckets too) as there`s no provision for the crotch strap. A three or four point harness will work just fine.

Also, the seat belt stalk / pre-tensioner is torx boted on, easy to remove.

6 point works just fine :wink: did it fine in my 106 with standard seats, all the 5th and 6th points do is stop you submarining so can be clipped on anywhere under the seat or the proper way would be to weld in the eyebolt panels or whatever they're called - went and bought a T50 bit to get the old belt out, will get some pictures when it's done

McBandy said:
[post]364985[/post] 6 point works just fine :wink: did it fine in my 106 with standard seats, all the 5th and 6th points do is stop you submarining so can be clipped on anywhere under the seat or the proper way would be to weld in the eyebolt panels or whatever they're called - went and bought a T50 bit to get the old belt out, will get some pictures when it's done
I'd just get a bar welded in and get a better seat mate.
You sit much lower as a result and in turn that gives you more confidence and feel to the car.
I had a length of roll cage welded between the two rear struts which doubles as the harness bar, then 4 point harnesses - the side ones can bolt to the centre tunnel where the exhaust runs and the outside ones can re-use the existing seatbelt mounting points.
I have JJC seat frames and runners on the driver side and it's made the car so much more fun!

Hi
In a previous car, Porsche, I fitted 5 point harnesses with the crotch strap coming up through the bucket seats base.
I also needed to weld new harness location points onto the floor and sills.

There is a 964 911 part code, cars built between 1989 and 1994, that is a small plate with the harness thread insert fitted into it. The plate is around 30mm by 45mm and can welded anywhere. It is also quite cheap, for Porsche, circa £5 each.
I welded 3 per side, driver and passenger. One in the floor, one on the tunnel and one on the inner sill.
I could mount them anywhere I wanted so keeping the original seat belts in place as some MOT testers get sniffy if you turn up with harnesses in a road car. Something about being able to click and unclip a seat belt with one hard.

I do not know if your aware but seat belt mounting bolt threads are universally standard irrespective of the manufacture, original or after market. The Porsche part supports this thread.

Just my experience and could be of use to someone.

Thank you for your help guys, I've got 4 or so harness plates so that's not a problem, but no welder or knowledge of welding, going to do same as I did in my old Pug, 2 into rear seat belt points, 1 into drivers lower seatbelt rail hole and 1 into the "missing" seatbelt buckle bolt hole that I've now found

Latest posts

Back